Multiple Front end for Single Back end (1 Viewer)

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 12:04
I want to create a separate Front End that will be used by people who are not on our staff, and therefore should not be able to access confidential information that is stored on our database.

Would I be able to create a new Front End form using fewer fields linked to the same Back End that is behind a secure server that's inaccessible by Window Explorer so I can allow volunteers to store information in the database.

If there is a better solution, I'm open to it as well.

Kelemit

Registered User.
Local time
Yes, that would work, but if you link a table / etc to a front end, and they can get to the database window, they will be able to read ANYTHING that is linked to it, even if you set up your froms to "hide" data by only selecting certain fields to be shown. Linking the table will still allow the users to open the table with all data visible.

To help mitigate that... you can separate your tables into data that needs to be hidden, and data that can be displayed. Link them together with a 1 to 1 connection and then ONLY link to the table that is allowed to be seen. This way, users, even getting to the database window, will only see data that you allow them to see.

Its basically like splitting your table into 2 tables, yet they are still basically one table, sense all data in one table is still connected 1 to 1 to all data in the other table.

*shrug*

Kelemit

Banana

Local time
I intend to code the limited form so that database window isn't accessed without a password. Will that accomplish the same goal?

Edit- I also should clarify- when you say that opening a table from a database window can show all data, is that also true if the confidential data are stored on a separate table that isn't linked at all to the back end?

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:04
Search for "Access Security" and learn how to create a "workgroup" and "user permissions" to secure your db and the data within.

Banana

Local time
Ghudson, thanks for the pointers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom