Question My database keeps hanging, what's wrong with it? (1 Viewer)

CarysW

Complete Access Numpty
Local time
Today, 19:27
I'm using Access 2007 but have Office 2003 for everything else.

Whenever I try to do anything (create a form, change views etc etc) the database just hangs for ages - sometimes I have to force Access to close. :mad:

The problem is that it works fine on my colleague's computer who has all Office 2007 so could this be the problem?

My computer has recently had a total rebuild after a problem.

Any ideas welcome.

Last edited:

simongallop

Registered User.
Local time
Could be the 2003 / 2007 compatibility. Have you tried to Back up database (rather than compact)? I have a database that imports lots of data and then creates 100's of PDF files and even though it is only 200Mb it takes 10 mins per pdf, yet if I backup the database it takes 10 secs per pdf.

CarysW

Complete Access Numpty
Local time
Could be the 2003 / 2007 compatibility. Have you tried to Back up database (rather than compact)? I have a database that imports lots of data and then creates 100's of PDF files and even though it is only 200Mb it takes 10 mins per pdf, yet if I backup the database it takes 10 secs per pdf.

HI Harry, thanks for the reply. I've tried the back up database facility but it hasn't made any difference. :(

simongallop

Registered User.
Local time
I think that you know the answer! Looking like version conflict.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Today, 11:27
If both of you are using Access 2007 and you aren't using any of the other products (like using code to export to Excel or Word) then it isn't likely a version problem.

But, you should, if it isn't already, have the database split as a frontend/backend (with the backend on the network drive and a copy of the frontend on EACH user's computer).

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
Also, make sure you both have at least Office 2007 Service Pack 1 installed and I would recommend having Service Pack 2 installed.

CarysW

Complete Access Numpty
Local time
If both of you are using Access 2007 and you aren't using any of the other products (like using code to export to Excel or Word) then it isn't likely a version problem.

But, you should, if it isn't already, have the database split as a frontend/backend (with the backend on the network drive and a copy of the frontend on EACH user's computer).

I'm still building the database so haven't yet split it - I haven't even built a proper FE yet! I only tried it on my colleague's computer to see if it was working.

I've got both service packs installed for 2007.

Any ideas on what it could be? It's rather annoying and if there is a problem I need to catch it now before I finish and split it etc.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
I'm still building the database so haven't yet split it - I haven't even built a proper FE yet! I only tried it on my colleague's computer to see if it was working.

I've got both service packs installed for 2007.

Any ideas on what it could be? It's rather annoying and if there is a problem I need to catch it now before I finish and split it etc.
It could be a network issue, but make sure that you aren't using OFFLINE FOLDERS and also you can try a decompile. Does it do this on only this one database or on any of them you do?

CarysW

Complete Access Numpty
Local time
It could be a network issue, but make sure that you aren't using OFFLINE FOLDERS and also you can try a decompile. Does it do this on only this one database or on any of them you do?

It just does it with this one database, but then all of the others I've tried are much smaller.

I think I've tried everything to make it work - it was because of this problem that our IT guy managed to kill my computer and had to reinstall windows! And it still hasn't fixed it - I've not told him yet!

I will have a check about the offline folders though.

SOS

Registered Lunatic
Local time
It just does it with this one database, but then all of the others I've tried are much smaller.

I think I've tried everything to make it work - it was because of this problem that our IT guy managed to kill my computer and had to reinstall windows! And it still hasn't fixed it - I've not told him yet!

I will have a check about the offline folders though.

You might also upload a copy here if you can. Just make sure to remove any sensitive data.

CarysW

Complete Access Numpty
Local time
You might also upload a copy here if you can. Just make sure to remove any sensitive data.

As it's a work thing there is a fair bit of sensitive data in it so it'd be hard to show you an accurate representation of my problem. Thanks though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom