Navigate from a list to an edit record form (1 Viewer)

darren_access

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:46
Traditionally in the web world i would create a list page with a few fields and an 'edit' button on the end, appending a url parameter to pass to a form whereupon displaying the record to be edited.

Can this be achieved in Access?

Currently I have a combo box at the top of the edit form allowing the user to choose a record to edit, but need also to create a project list for review purposes and allow user to select the project to be edited as well.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:46
You can use a command button if you are using a form in Continuous Form View but if you want to use Datasheet View, you can't use a button. In that case you would use the double-click event of one of the controls. If the form does not allow updates, you could use the click event if you prefer. In Access I always use the double-click event for this purpose even on forms that don't allow updates just because constancy is important and I don't want one form working one way and another form working a different way.

To add the code use the ellipsis (three dots) button to open the code window where you can simply add your DoCmd.OpenForm action. For these controls where I have enabled the double-click action, I set the "Display as Hyperlink" properto on the Format tab to Always. This gives people a visual clue that something will happen with this control if they double-click on it.

darren_access

Registered User.
Local time
i have a report called "project list" already created. Can the same button functionality be added to a report? On the web i could've have created a button with a url parameter, but not sure about access.

Sorry for the vagueness, hell i'm still stumbling in the dark using the Access gui lol

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
A button can be used in Report view, not Preview.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:46
I would open a list form rather than a report. Although as Paul said, as long as you open the report in Report View, buttons will be active and can run code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom