Navigation Form, Form, Subform, Default Value (1 Viewer)

gracegrenier

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:14
Hello all,
In Access 2010, I have a form called "Production" and a subform called "PWD" that only gets called for special forms in "Production." Before I put the forms in a Navigation Form, I had a field in "PWD" with a default value from an auto number in the "Production" form. In the properties for Defaul Value I simply used
=[Forms]![Production Entry Form]![Batch #]
the batch # is the auto number. When I put these forms in a Navigation Form called "Production Switchboard" the default value in the subform stopped working. I tried all kinds of things trying to referrence the Navigation Form, but nothing has worked. This referrence is the last one I tried, but still doesn't work
=[Forms]![ProductionSwitchboard]![NavigationControl0].[NavigationParent].[Form].[Field List].[Batch #]
Does anyone know what would work?
Thanks
gg

Last edited:

gracegrenier

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Boblarson,
I've tried that many times. It is the fact that it is in the Navigation Form that confuses the matter. =[Forms]![Production Switchboard]![NavigationControl0].[NavigationParent]![Batch #] is the latest that I tried, but it still doesn't work.
I should clarify some things. I'm not sure that "PWD" is a subform of "Production" (I don't even know how to tell) and it isn't in the Navigation Form. It is called by a button in "Production Form." Before I put "Production Form" in the Navigation Form, it worked perfectly. I would click the button from Production Form to open the PWD Form and it would open with the Batch # already filled in. My boss really likes the Navigation Form so I put the Production Form in a Navigation Form and when I click the button to open the PWD Form, I cannot get the Batch # to populate with the Batch number from the Production Form. :banghead:
I just need to know what to put in the default value of the Batch # field in the PWD Form.
Thanks,
gg

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Not sure what to tell you. Did you make sure to open the Navigation form in design view and then get the entire path? The reason I ask is that the output you have written there doesn't jive with what I've seen before. And you can't just go to the subform and get the path you have to go down from inside the form. So, selecting a control source on the navigation form and then digging down to the subform control.

If you still can't get it, if you can upload a copy of the database with fake data and after running Compact and Repair and right clicking on the file and selecting SEND TO > COMPRESSED FOLDER to zip it, I can take a look later tonight after I get home from work.

gracegrenier

Registered User.
Local time
Hello again,
I've worked on this on and off for a couple weeks and am just lost. So I have deleted most everything including most of the fields and attached it as "Prod Problem". All that remains are two tables (Production and PWD) and three forms (Production Entry, PWD and Production Switchboard). Prod Switchboard is the Navigation form, so when you open it the Production Entry form will be in view. When you enter a date, the auto number will populate, then look down in the form to all of the buttons towards the bottom, click "Save" then "Open PWD". The batch # in the PWD Form should populate with the Batch number from the Production Entry form. I just can't get it to while in the Navigation Form.
Thank you for trying,
gg

Attachments

• Prod Problem.zip
    56.7 KB · Views: 85

gracegrenier

Registered User.
Local time
Dear Boblarson,
I just figured it out. The solution to put in the default value is
=[Forms]![Production Switchboard].[Form]![NavigationSubform].[Form].[Batch #]
I was close so many times, but close doesn't count at all in Access. I was just trying different things again and was about to give up for the day when I put in the above and it worked!
Thank you for your help.
gg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom