Need help setting up an initial Company information process

Fstetson

Local time
Yesterday, 17:22
Hello and Greetings All,

I am trying to set my database solution for deployment in order to provide company/owner personalization during FIRST startup, and then prevent that form from showing again in future openings of the DB. I have seen several examples and unsuccessfully finding them now in order to reverse engineer. If you have an example DB that you can share, or a link to one I would greatly appreciate it.

What I have done so far is create a detail form that is used for a user, supplier, vendor or customer. I just added the ability to attach logos and banners or use in the database where I have set up images which are linked to the appropriate table field. Once the form is filled out, the autoexec needs to check if the table has data or not. Thus, allowing the form to either open or not! Of course, I am providing a means to edit the information via an administrator page.

To be honest I know this is probably not that difficult, but I have slammed me head into a brick wall trying to get it right.

Can't wait to hear back from you, Thank you
Fred

Attachments

• CompanyForm.jpg
    CompanyForm.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 14
I think you will still want the ability to go back and update this information after the initial setup so you need some kind of administrator section on your menu that lets the user get to this form. Sometimes logos change and so do mailing addresses and phone numbers.

When your menu opens, it should check the "info" table to see if it is complete. If it is, the menu opens normally. If the required data is not there, then you open the form you posted. In the Unload event of the posted form, you can check to see if the data has been saved and then if it has been, open the normal menu. Otherwise you can let the user continue or exit from the database.

You've been around for a few years but haven't posted much so welcome.

Hello and Greetings All,

I am trying to set my database solution for deployment in order to provide company/owner personalization during FIRST startup, and then prevent that form from showing again in future openings of the DB. I have seen several examples and unsuccessfully finding them now in order to reverse engineer. If you have an example DB that you can share, or a link to one I would greatly appreciate it.

What I have done so far is create a detail form that is used for a user, supplier, vendor or customer. I just added the ability to attach logos and banners or use in the database where I have set up images which are linked to the appropriate table field. Once the form is filled out, the autoexec needs to check if the table has data or not. Thus, allowing the form to either open or not! Of course, I am providing a means to edit the information via an administrator page.

To be honest I know this is probably not that difficult, but I have slammed me head into a brick wall trying to get it right.

Fred
Check out the way it is handled in both Northwind versions. Both Starter and Developer versions have similar strategies.

We followed the same general approach Pat describes.

Hello and Greetings All,

Fred
Hi Fred
Are you able to upload a copy of the database?

I would perhaps hold them as database properties.
You would still need a form to modify, but should prevent that as much as possible, so I do not just copy it and change the data re company?

Iam trying to navigate my way through the maze in the northwind db modules and totally lost. I was hoping to make a much simpler process.

And yes, I always create a system administrator form for various system operations and information keeping. I was hoping there would be some simpler examples. Thank you, and I will continue to fry my brain more in northwind.

Do you not understand my directions? This functionality is not difficult to create. The Northwinds code is not likely to be identical to what you need so you would need to modify it anyway. I'm pretty sure you can create it just as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom