Speeding up the loading of multiple cascading combo boxes (2 Viewers)

Is there another way to select an item in a listbox? I am filling a form with selected information.
Normally we would expect a form to be filled by a human so what you are doing makes no sense. If the data already exists somewhere, why are you copying it to another table? And why do it with code rather than an append query?

Yes:
Code:
Public Function SetComboBoxValueLong(cnt As Control, LID As Long)
  cnt.Value = IIf(LID > 0, LID, Null)
End Function

though a separate function to set the value of a combo seems overkill!
Thanks I will try that. Looks much easier.

Normally we would expect a form to be filled by a human so what you are doing makes no sense. If the data already exists somewhere, why are you copying it to another table? And why do it with code rather than an append query?
People do save information they have entered into a form, and at times they want to view what they have entered into the form. I am not copying to another table, I am filling the form with their saved record. Also, these primary forms do re-occurring scheduling. They can select any day, any week, week #, # of days, day of week etc and schedule out as long as they want... they can also adjust schedules by what ever they want. To do this you have to code. I do have a copy button on the forms. Users like that. Sometimes there are similar entries so instead of manually typing everything in, they can click a button and just make a couple of edits. I don't like binding anything and I don't like the limitations of Access, but since I gave up my Microsoft developer license about 10 years ago, I decided to just use Access from my 365 subscription.

I am not copying to another table, I am filling the form with their saved record.
But that is exactly what you are doing. The form's record will be saved to a table. Copying from a combo???? That is a very unnatural design.

I don't like binding anything and I don't like the limitations of Access, but since I gave up my Microsoft developer license about 10 years ago, I decided to just use Access from my 365 subscription.
Bound forms are what make Access a RAD tool. To eschew them is to ignore the absolute best feature of Access. You would do far better to choose a different platform if you think Access is a poor tool. Otherwise, you might want to learn how to use it. If you are going to copy a record, the most efficient method is an insert query,

But that is exactly what you are doing. The form's record will be saved to a table. Copying from a combo???? That is a very unnatural design.

Bound forms are what make Access a RAD tool. To eschew them is to ignore the absolute best feature of Access. You would do far better to choose a different platform if you think Access is a poor tool. Otherwise, you might want to learn how to use it. If you are going to copy a record, the most efficient method is an insert query,
What combo am I copying from? I am setting the value of combo boxes from the table. As far as Access goes, it is good for what it does. I just prefer more flexibility. I retired and Quit programming in 2010. I'm not sure what version of asp.net I was using. I used VBA with vb4- vb6 for a lot of years so I know VBA pretty well, in fact I used to teach it at the community college of southern Nevada. Before commenting on a post, you should read the code... if you know how. BTW I am writing this program for myself and some friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom