Need help with relationships in table (2 Viewers)

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 00:20
Rare87GT said:
1. There should be a minimum of FIVE significant tables. A significant table has more than two attributes/columns.
2. All tables will be normalized to at least third normal form to prevent update anomalies.
3. All attributes must have captions and descriptions in the table design form.
4. Use predefined input masks where appropriate e.g. phone numbers, social security numbers, postal codes, etc.
5. Include at least two user defined input masks that you create e.g. an input mask to insure the letters in a state code are all capitalized.
6. There will be at least two lookup tables. Lookups can be done using one ore more of the five significant tables or you can create a table just used for looking up values (e.g. State Code Lookup table) that will be entered in other tables in your database.
7. All primary key fields will be required entries.
8. Non-key fields containing the minimum essential data to make each record meaningful will be required entries.
9. All initial entry tables will have validation criteria included to insure the quality, accuracy, and correct format of the data.

So, this is a school/college project? ;)

Regarding #2 - I've normalised to the best of my ability. The requirement of five 'significant' tables is naive.

Rare87GT

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 18:20
SJ McAbney said:
So, this is a school/college project? ;)

Regarding #2 - I've normalised to the best of my ability. The requirement of five 'significant' tables is naive.

Yes, it is. So you are saying that I need all 22 tables for this particular project? What about forms and reports, what kind of data do I need to have in these tables cause a few of them are kind of unclear to me.

Rare87GT

Registered User.
Local time
I have started inputting data but I need some guidance about what goes in what and what each individual table is wanting for the data. Maybe you could email me and let me know what data goes in each table and so forth, since I am a bit confused about what a table like Actions or Channels, or even Skills is wanting for inputted data. Also on ID # is it the same for the tables that ask the id number twice. Please let me know. Oh one other thing, you designed that database very fast, faster than I have designed antyhing in there. This is an online class so it is hard to learn everything.

Could you get the data maybe going in those as well and send me an updated copy so I can see what's going on so I could get the forms and reports going and possibly macros and a switchboard? I wish you could just design this for me and send me what you have and I could learn from it for my next small assignment. Let me know as I learned so much more by seeing what you did than reading all the comments made.

Last edited:

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
Today, 00:20
Rare87GT said:
So you are saying that I need all 22 tables for this particular project?

I'm not saying that. In a real world situation that's the way I'd design it properly which is why I think the project's expectation of around five tables is, if not naive, lenient and uninformed.

[qote]what kind of data do I need to have in these tables cause a few of them are kind of unclear to me.[/QUOTE]

Relevant data is a good place to start. Admittedly, some of the tables are there because I got carried away with designing - i.e. Reasons and Actions with respect to the Communications/Correspondence. I saw reasons as being a list of possible reasons for a communication and Actions as being a list of possible resolutions to the communication. This way you enforce a selection of a specific list rather than encourage freetyping and can then produce more specific reports. Channels, as I saw it, was a list of methods of communication i.e. how did the communication come in? Fax? Email? Telephone? Mail? SMS?

Regarding the skills table, you originally had a field in the employees table for Specialities. The skills table is supposed to contain a list of possible skills so that your data remains atomic and can then be used as a many-to-many relationship via the junction table of tblEmployeesToSkills.

With some of the tables, as I designed I got a bit carried away and went beyond your specification as I started adding things to tables such as complete address fields, different types of phone numbers, holiday allowance, date recruited/resigned etc. For this project you probably don't need these.

The new attachment fixes some things to the design and adds some dummy data to give an indication of how things work and what goes in each table.

This is an online class so it is hard to learn everything.
Surely you still have an advisor. If so then go to them and ask for advice too; it's their job.

I wish you could just design this for me and send me what you have and I could learn from it for my next small assignment. Let me know as I learned so much more by seeing what you did than reading all the comments made.

I'll suggest but I'll stop short at actually doing it for you as it's your project and the onus is on you to complete it while understanding the underpinning concepts and techniques.

Attachments

• dbStructure.zip
    55.5 KB · Views: 94

Rare87GT

Registered User.
Local time
If I have your 22 tables, then how many forms and reports would I have as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom