"New" Outlook (1 Viewer)

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:19
Regarding this "New" Outlook.

Is "New" Outlook available now as an O365 option?

If so, do we need to advise clients not to install this option, as it will prevent Access or Excel being able to automate emails?
Would we know an O365 update is going to install "New" Outlook?
Is it reversible?

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes, it's part of O365 - you get this innocent looking button at the top right of the screen:
1699543154501.png

Clicking it opens/loads the new version.
However, my colleague has started using it and his automations from Access still work, so I'm not sure what exactly is happening behind the scenes at this point...

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 22:19
Is it reversible?
Microsoft claims you can just flip the toggle back to the "old Outlook".
However, I've seen credible reports of people who wanted to go back after being disgusted by the "new Outlook" and were not able to do so by just flipping the toggle. They had to completely uninstall and then reinstall Microsoft Office 365 to get back to the "Old Outlook".

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
However, my colleague has started using it and his automations from Access still work, so I'm not sure what exactly is happening behind the scenes at this point...
Microsoft currently wants to gather feedback. Therefor the option to switch back and forth (in theory, see my posting above) between the old and new Outlook easily.
This means the "old Outlook" is not removed/uninstalled when you switch to the "new Outlook". As the old Outlook is still there, albeit inactive, it is plausible that Outlook Automation will continue to work while the old Outlook is still present. - I would not bet on data being 100% in sync though.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Does anyone know if you would still be able to send emails by CDO as an alternative?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Does anyone know if you would still be able to send emails by CDO as an alternative?
In regards to the "New Outlook" issue CDO will be completely unaffected as it is not related to Outlook in any way.

In the bigger picture, Microsoft is also deprecating VB-Script. It is still not clear for me what Microsoft will consider to be a part of VB-Script. I think there is a risk that satellite components to VB-Script will also be deprecated and that CDO will be such a component.

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:19
I just encountered this issue with one of my clients. She's got 10s of thousands invested in an Access application for her legal practice and the application is integrated with Outlook to send out hundreds of emails each week. So, Microsoft just dropped this on us with no warning that it would break functionality that many depended on for decades. I find it incomprehensible that in all their testing and feedback they never thought that maybe we should be warned. I used to love Microsoft for its products. Now, well words fail me.

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 13:19
I just encountered this issue with one of my clients. She's got 10s of thousands invested in an Access application for her legal practice and the application is integrated with Outlook to send out hundreds of emails each week. So, Microsoft just dropped this on us with no warning that it would break functionality that many depended on for decades. I find it incomprehensible that in all their testing and feedback they never thought that maybe we should be warned. I used to love Microsoft for its products. Now, well words fail me.
You may have missed the last row of the grid on this page.
The solution is to revert back to the full Outlook client.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:19
If you send mail via opening an Outlook Applications Object the new Outlook won't work as it doesn't integrate with COM. Look at the list of pending features at the bottom of this link.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
You may wish to have your client remove the 'innocent looking 'Try the new Outlook' toggle switch so none of the users are tempted to try it without realising the consequences. To remove it, just needs a new registry entry:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options\General]
"HideNewOutlookToggle"=dword:00000001

Save this as a .reg text file and then run it to add to key/value to the registry.
On the highly unlikely event you do want to see the toggle again, change the dword value from 00000001 (1) to 00000000 (0)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Is there any update on the future status of this, I have had a client asking me?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes but I’m not sure which details are publicly available info and how much is still subject to NDA. I can confirm that New Outlook is definitely going ahead and will not support VBA or automation. However the current Outlook will be part of Office 2024 and will be supported at least until 2029

The Access team will be at DevCon later this month and this is almost certainly a topic that will be discussed.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I believe new outlook has insinuated itself on to my PC without being asked, but maybe not. I will find out if I try to raise an email though access soon enough.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Be careful. A colleague in work went and accepte3d it and it trashed his accounts.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I believe new outlook has insinuated itself on to my PC without being asked, but maybe not. I will find out if I try to raise an email though access soon enough.
Not possible. At the moment New Outlook is only loaded if the toggle switch is implemented. In any case, I believe you use older versions of Office so won't be affected.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Not possible. At the moment New Outlook is only loaded if the toggle switch is implemented. In any case, I believe you use older versions of Office so won't be affected.
No I use O365. I develop some stuff in A2003, but I drifted into O365 for stuff I use.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
So the apps I have that interact with outlook (primarily processing received emails and generating emails) will potentially stop working in 5 years time.

there must be millions of apps out there doing the same thing - including excel and word.

Is there any suggestion as to what might replace this ability?

sounds like we have a 3 body problem 😃

tvanstiphout

Local time
Today, 13:19
MSFT is very much aware of this, and looking into which scenarios should be supported long-term.
DoCmd.SendObject is one of the areas of attention. It cannot just stop working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom