Next record button to move to the next record in a textbox (1 Viewer)

ChazRab

Local time
Today, 05:32
I noticed that when the Next button is clicked, both txtMatchedVerses AND Textbox2 move to the next record simultaneously. These are separate search results. Each has to have its own Next and Prev buttons. "ll try to see if I can fix this on my own without having to keep coming back to you. As Pat Hartman said, you have already spent a generous amount of time with me on this.

you have an advanced way of coding the buttons in BOOKTABLE, BOOKCHAPTER and CHAPTERVERSE that I'm not up to speed on in understanding
There are more chapters in BOOKCHAPTER, and more verses in CHAPTERVERSE that I need to code like you do to cover every book, chapter and verse of the Bible. I have no idea how to start this process.

I really like the way your version you sent turned out. I want to keep using that one as a model to keep adding features. I'm going to try to accomplish as much of this as I can with my limited knowledge of Access VBA.

Changing button colors, font sizes, etc. - surface stuff without touching the code would hopefully not affect the performance in any way. But I want to be very careful about what I change so I don't mess anything that you've done up.

cr :)

ChazRab

Local time
Hi arnelgp - thanks very much for staying with me on this. Unless i missed something, I didn't see any changes. The next button stll moves
the cursor of txtMatchedVerses AND Textbox2 both down 1 record. As mentioned, I went in and tried to change some things myself in the
getverse code, but that didn't work. For some reason, my security settings are blocking your file. No unblock checkbox appears on security settings tab - MS seems to make it more and more difficult to find things - I understand the need for tight security - but they could make it a whole lot easier for users to change personal settings.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 18:32
after you download the db, right click on it, then on property Tick the Unblock.

ChazRab

Local time
Hi arnelgp.

I now know how to unblock the file - thanks. Question: is this the latest update? -

here is an update
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArMbLCnMkq_Fk3wgA9S3g1uinOI4?e=4xtoZI

I downloaded this file once more and the Next button causes Textbox2 to scroll also.
In previous post I mentioned that clicking the Next button for this download causes both txtMatchedVerses AND Textbox2 to scroll simultaneously - want the Next button code to only scroll txtMatchedVerses and not affect Textbox2. Tried making some changes to your code but nothing worked.

Trying to take some of this coding off of you so I can learn this - hopefully as well as you - one day, not too long from now.
How can I add chapters and verses with the advanced code you used? I just hard coded each button - you did some advanced things in making chapters and verses with your code I had trouble figuring out.

Please help when you have a chance.

Once again, thanks for all your help

cr

ChazRab

Local time
Perfect! Thank you so very much Both scroll independently as they should. I noticed changes to the verse citations which is OK if needed. to make this work. Typically, at then end of each verse in any Bible software app, is the Book, chapter, verse and translation - i.e., Matthew 23:15 (KJV)

One of the most important components of this or any Bible software application is its ability to compare side by side verse translations. Biblical scholars and translators over the last 2,000 years may have become influenced by their own beliefs which guided their selection of words to interpret exactly what they believe in as opposed to what's being said - that's just human nature.

I continued working on this Excel version, of which I am much more experienced in Excel VBA, and until your kindness in continued help, I was about to give up on an Access version of this application because of my frustration with the difficulty in learning Access VBA very quickly. But now, I am reinterested in diving deep into the VBA Access and SQL code models. Even the most experienced had to learn from somewhere - either from analyzing form code solutions, or YT or some other online learning. That all said, here' why a translation verse comparison is important: image tells all: Only the KJV mentions Lucifer. the NIV, NASB and RSV - "star of the morning, son of the dawn, .."

The way I did this was by linking the two verse indexes of the two listboxes on each form: The form in the background image is the calling form.
The form in the front that gives the verse comparison is the called form.
Code:
Code in the Activate Event of the called form (named VERCOMP [for version comparison])
Private Sub UserForm_Activate()
Me.TextBox5.Value = ALLVIEWSTB.number.Value
If TextBox5.Value = "1" Then
    TextBox2.Value = n
    TextBox3.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS1").Range("H1:H1").Value ' no of verses
    TextBox4.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS1").Range("i1:i1").Value ' no of verses
    n = ALLVIEWSTB.ListBox1.ListIndex
    Me.TextBox1.Value = ListBox1.List(n, 1) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf _
    & ListBox1.List(n, 2) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox1.List(n, 3) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox1.List(n, 4)
    Me.TextBox1.SelStart = 0
    Me.TextBox1.SetFocus
    Me.TextBox1.CurLine = 0
Else
If TextBox5.Value = "2" Then
    TextBox2.Value = n
    TextBox3.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS2").Range("H1:H1").Value ' no of verses
    TextBox4.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS2").Range("i1:i1").Value ' no of verses
    n = ALLVIEWSTB.ListBox2.ListIndex
    Me.TextBox1.Value = ListBox2.List(n, 1) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf _
    & ListBox2.List(n, 2) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox2.List(n, 3) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox2.List(n, 4)
    Me.TextBox1.SelStart = 0
    Me.TextBox1.SetFocus
    Me.TextBox1.CurLine = 0
Else
If TextBox5.Value = "3" Then
   TextBox2.Value = n
    TextBox3.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS3").Range("H1:H1").Value ' no of verses
    TextBox4.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS3").Range("i1:i1").Value ' no of verses
    n = ALLVIEWSTB.ListBox1.ListIndex
    Me.TextBox1.Value = ListBox3.List(n, 1) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf _
    & ListBox3.List(n, 2) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox3.List(n, 3) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox3.List(n, 4)
    Me.TextBox1.SelStart = 0
    Me.TextBox1.SetFocus
    Me.TextBox1.CurLine = 0
Else
    If TextBox5.Value = "4" Then
   TextBox2.Value = n
    TextBox3.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS4").Range("H1:H1").Value ' no of verses
    TextBox4.Value = Sheets("ALLVIEWS4").Range("i1:i1").Value ' no of verses
    n = ALLVIEWSTB.ListBox4.ListIndex
    Me.TextBox1.Value = ListBox4.List(n, 1) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf _
    & ListBox4.List(n, 2) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox4.List(n, 3) _
    & vbCrLf _
    & vbCrLf + ListBox4.List(n, 4)
    Me.TextBox1.SelStart = 0
    Me.TextBox1.SetFocus
    Me.TextBox1.CurLine = 0
Else
End If
End If
End If
End If
End Sub
The "1", "2", etc is just a way in the code I told Excel which textbox, Textbox1, Textbox2, Textbox3 or Textbox4 to reference.
The VERCOMP called form then knows to just use that specific verse of that specific textbox.

Can I add Book, chapter and verse buttons to your existing code on my own? Matthew has 28 chapters, Revelation has 22 chapters, etc.

Thanks again for all your great help.
cr :)

Attachments

• iSAIAH 1412 VERSION COMPARISON COMPONENT SHOWING VARIANCES IN TRANSLATIONS.png
    iSAIAH 1412 VERSION COMPARISON COMPONENT SHOWING VARIANCES IN TRANSLATIONS.png
    220.6 KB · Views: 19
  • MAIN CALLING FORM. 4 TEXTBOXES, EACH WITH A DIFFERENT LISTBOX.  CAN SHOW THE RESULT OF 4 INDEP...png
    MAIN CALLING FORM. 4 TEXTBOXES, EACH WITH A DIFFERENT LISTBOX. CAN SHOW THE RESULT OF 4 INDEP...png
    199.9 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom