Not sure what to title it... (1 Viewer)

Scottigus

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 10:20
Good day Gents!

My problem is I have a database where I have recorded dates of when the employees last got certified for their forklift certifications (as well as others)...such as Person A - 8/11/2009, Person B - 9/2/2009, Person C - 7/2/2009, etc.

After a certain amount of time (let's say 6 months) they expire and the employee needs to be re-certified. So, on 2/11/2010, Person A needs to get re-certified, and then it would be entered as 2/11/2010 and 8/11/2009 would be erased. Okay...that's what it does.

The question I have is, I need to make a report/query that shows everyone from today's date that needs to get re-certified. Such as, today is 10/20/2009...if someone had their number at 4/21/2009, it would not show it, but tomorrow, when the report was ran, he would be on the list because it would have been 6 months since he last got certified. I am so hoping this makes sense...

So in essence, it would show everyone who is up for renewal. I checked online (googled) and all I kept finding was stuff for SQL or other programs.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Something like

SELECT...
FROM...
WHERE DateAdd("m", 6, YourDateField) < Date()

Anchoress

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not a "Gent", but I assume it's OK if I respond?

There was a similar question posted recently, regarding upcoming birthdays: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=181136

And I had a somewhat similar question a few months ago where I wanted to generate a list of parent table records by overdue date, by comparing the current date to a) the most recent date of activity in the child table, and b) a number in the parent table that indicated the preferred frequency of contact: http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=161419

I know they're not exactly like your question, but might still be useful.

Scottigus

Registered User.
Local time
seeing as I am still somewhat new to this...where exactly would I put all that information (SELECT, FROM, WHERE)

Thanks

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, you posted this in Queries, so I posted query SQL. In a query in design view, paste this part in a new field:

DateAdd("m", 6, YourDateField)

Changing the field name of course, and this in the criteria row of that same field:

< Date()

Scottigus

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I entered that into the appropriate place, but all it did was add 6 months onto the date.

What I'm trying to do is have the query only show the date that they got their certification only if it is later than 6 months from the day they got it.

Example: pbaldy got his certification on 04/28/2009, so if I ran the query today, it wouldn't run it because it is not 6 months from todays date, but if I ran it tomorrow (10/28/2009), it would now show up on the query because it is 6 months or more away from today's date...so todays date - 6 months... if they got their certificate less than 6 months ago, it wouldn't show it. If they got their certificate more than 6 months ago, it would now show up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yes, that adds 6 months to the expiration date. When you add the criteria of

<Date()

to that field it should return those records that expired more than 6 months ago. Unless I'm having another brain cramp. Can you post a sample db?

Scottigus

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I just redid the formula, but when making the query, I just added in the actual field to show the date that they received it on. I think I have it working now, so thank you veyr much!!!!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No problemo, glad we got it sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom