Only in America

• Thread starter Thread starter Rich
  • Start date Start date
It's no joke. Last Thursday, President Bush signed into law a prohibition on posting annoying Web messages or sending annoying e-mail messages without disclosing your true identity.
So, if you don't want GWB to put you in jail, you'd better send a picture of yourself and give us your real age.:p

Last edited:
jsanders said:
This will probably not with stand up to judicial review.

But it's been passed as a law, are you saying your courts don't uphold the law?:confused:

Hey, I can't see it. Can you post some of it here? Sounds interesting from the statments made here.

Rich said:
But it's been passed as a law, are you saying your courts don't uphold the law?:confused:

Are you asking me for a description of our legal system?

I have a feeling you already know this, but you're testing me.

Rich said:
Not if you've got enough money to grease a few palms, like Wacko Jacko:rolleyes:

Col

Rich said:
Yes......................................
Here, try reading this handy table. Apparently the million times it's been explained to you within these forums have been no help, so maybe another source will sink in. :rolleyes:

ColinEssex said:
Not if you've got enough money to grease a few palms, like Wacko Jacko:rolleyes:
Too bad you weren't on the jury. There wouldn't have been any need for the defense to point out a lack of any evidence of wrongdoing, you could have skipped right to finding him guilty :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Kraj said:
Here, try reading this handy table. Apparently the million times it's been explained to you within these forums have been no help, so maybe another source will sink in. :rolleyes:

Actually it's never been explained to me, let's see if I've got this correct in simple terms.
You guys elect a government to make laws and then a gazillion other people who haven't been elected get to decide whether it's actually legal? :confused:

Rich said:
Actually it's never been explained to me, let's see if I've got this correct in simple terms.
You guys elect a government to make laws and then a gazillion other people who haven't been elected get to decide whether it's actually legal? :confused:

Defined as constitutional.
All law must to have its bases in the constituion.

Rich said:
I see, so what's to stop an ammendment? :confused:
I reckon that radification thing is a little hard to get by.

Rich said:
Actually it's never been explained to me,
Lucky for you, since 90% of the old posts are gone you get the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Rich said:
let's see if I've got this correct in simple terms.
Well if you were going for your trademark oversimplification, you did a good job. Let's break this down...

Rich said:
You guys elect a government
Actually, the women help some too. ;) If by "government" you are referring to the officials and officers who hold governmental positions, then 'yes'.

Rich said:
to make laws
Making laws is one of the many functions of the various governmental bodies, yes.

Rich said:
and then a gazillion other people who haven't been elected get to decide whether it's actually legal? :confused:
As far as I'm aware, the only judges in the country who are not elected are the United States Supreme Court justices, who are appointed by the President and confirmed by Congress, and some state supreme court justices. So, if you're under the impression that all judges are appointed, you are mistaken. However, the judges that are responsible for determining whether a law is Constitutional (whether on a state or federal level) are the supreme court justices, so you're sort of right in that respect. The number of these judges is relatively small, however.

The purpose of this system is to prevent any one individual or group from wielding too much power. Congress has the power to make and change laws, but if those laws contradict the Constitution (ie., the supreme source of law), then the Courts have the power to prevent that law from being enforced.

jsanders said:
I reckon that radification thing is a little hard to get by.
well you banned that evil alcohol simply enough:rolleyes:
so it's actually fair to say that you're governed today by a set of laws that were formed in the middle ages?

Rich said:
well you banned that evil alcohol simply enough:rolleyes:
so it's actually fair to say that you're governed today by a set of laws that were formed in the middle ages?

Yeah Rich,
Kinda like you guys.

Rich said:
Did I miss something? The late 18th century is considered the Middle Ages now?

Kraj said:
As far as I'm aware, the only judges in the country who are not elected are the United States Supreme Court justices, who are appointed by the President and confirmed by Congress, and some state supreme court justices. .

If the President can get his choice past congress, presumably ;)

The purpose of this system is to prevent any one individual or group from wielding too much power. Congress has the power to make and change laws, but if those laws contradict the Constitution (ie., the supreme source of law), then the Courts have the power to prevent that law from being enforced

but surely even you agree that supreme source is centuries out of date?
Also this very law that brought about this thread in the first place must surely by definition be a breach of the first ammendment? :confused:

Rich said:
If the President can get his choice past congress, presumably ;)
That's what the phrase "confirmed by Congres" meant. ;)

Rich said:
but surely even you agree that supreme source is centuries out of date?
I don't agree. I think that 99% of the material in the Constitution and Bill of Rights is relevant and important. Part of what makes the Constitution a remarkable document is its built-in ability to change and adapt. When times change, the law can change with them and still preserve its foundation. It's the people in this country who are responsible for changing things; the document isn't out of date - we are.

Rich said:
Also this very law that brought about this thread in the first place must surely by definition be a breach of the first ammendment? :confused:
Yes and no. It depends on how it is enforced. The First Ammendment guarantees the right to freedom of expression, but there are limits. Harrassment, incitement, disturbing the peace, obscenity, defamation and abuse are all forms of expression that are not protected or have limited protection.

It appears the purpose of this law is prevent laws against harassment, libel, etc., from being circumvented via the Internet. To me, that seems reasonable. If, however, the intention is to force everyone to identify themselves regardless of the content they are posting then that is an indiscriminate invasion of privacy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom