Only in America

• Thread starter Thread starter Rich
  • Start date Start date
Rich said:
Only in modern societies
Then I guess your government is based on a document from the Dark Ages. What a great period for civilization that was... :rolleyes:

Kraj said:
Yes and no. It depends on how it is enforced. The First Ammendment guarantees the right to freedom of expression, but there are limits. Harrassment, incitement, disturbing the peace, obscenity, defamation and abuse are all forms of expression that are not protected or have limited protection.

so would statements that are racist be banned, and who would decide whether it was racist or not? :confused:

Rich said:
so would statements that are racist be banned
Not by law (although many organizations have their own policies against such speech). That is why organizations like the KKK are allowed to exist and go on Jerry Springer. It's also why it's not unusual for its members to be charged with harrassment, etc.

BTW, why was this thread started in the Watercooler if it was intended to be a political discussion?

Last edited:
Kraj said:
Not by law (although many organizations have their own policies against such speech). That is why organizations like the KKK are allowed to exist and go on Jerry Springer. It's also why it's not unusual for its members to be charged with harrassment, etc.

BTW, why was this thread started in the Watercooler if it was intended to be a political discussion?

Wondered the same thing myself

jsanders said:
This will probably not stand up to judicial review.

Rich said:
Also this very law that brought about this thread in the first place must surely by definition be a breach of the first ammendment? :confused:

Damn, and here we are at full circle.

Kraj said:
It wasn't, it's just developed into one

Kraj said:
Too bad you weren't on the jury. There wouldn't have been any need for the defense to point out a lack of any evidence of wrongdoing, you could have skipped right to finding him guilty :rolleyes:
Depends how much he was willing to pay for an "innocent" verdict;)

Col

Kraj said:
Then I guess your government is based on a document from the Dark Ages. What a great period for civilization that was... :rolleyes:
Well it did give us the Magna Carta :cool:

Kraj said:
Well it did give us the Magna Carta :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom