Pass parameter to Append Queries (1 Viewer)

tt1611

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:21
Hi All
I have searched online in a number of forums and although I can see how to pass a parameter to a query
a) either you a form value
b) to a SELECT query

non of the above are applicable in my case. I have 10 append queries that dump their reults into a temp table TEMP2 where I extract the values and email to a system inbox.

The append queries all have parameters ie FISCAL YEAR_TY (this year) and FISCAL_YEAR_LY that the user needs to input. At the moment, when the query runs these paremeters popup, the user enters the year and query runs an append to TEMP2. I am trying to pass these parameters directly from VBA as they all remain constant for each query. i.e. FISCAL_YEAR_TY and FISCAL_YR_LY are the same for all queries.

I have tried as below

Code:
Function export_DSPH()
DoCmd.SetWarnings False
'DoCmd.SetWarnings True
DoCmd.RunSQL "delete * from temp2"
Dim db As Database
Dim qry As QueryDef
Dim rst As dao.Recordset
Set db = CurrentDb
For Each qry In db.QueryDefs
Select Case qry.Type
Case dbQAppend
If qry.Name Like "SPH_*" Then
qry.Parameters(0) = 201104
qry.Parameters(1) = 201204
DoCmd.OpenQuery qry.Name
'Set rst = qry.OpenRecordset()

Else
End If
Case Else
End Select
Next qry

End Function

As can be seen as was also trying to open a recordset to call these queries hoping the querydef parameter would pass but being that these are append queries not select when the following is run

Code:
set rst = currentdb.openrecordset(qry.name)

The code bugs out with invalid object.

Aside from having the user input these parameters I know there has to be a way around this. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:21
Two thoughts. First is trying this instead of the OpenQuery line:

qry.Execute

Second is dumping the parameters into 2 form controls and have all the queries get them from there. That would let you run them manually or programmatically.

tt1611

Registered User.
Local time
Wow Pbaldy
qry.execute

Only took me 6 hours. I have chosen to run this along with other code directly in a function so chose the former option of qry.execute as supposed to the form control

Truly awesome. Thanks for your help

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help!

hillnm

Local time
Paul - I have an append query with parameters. My parameters are coming from a form. One of these parameters is a list box. I have taken the list box selected items and created a string to populate a text box on the form so that the text box can be read as a parameter in the query. However, that is not working. I have declared the parameter on the query.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Natalie

hillnm

Local time
Paul - Thanks for the suggestions. This append query is one of two append queries which appends data to a staging table for reporting. This query has at least 3 parameters which are being feed from the form. For this particular parameter, I set the value of a text box to a string using vba. I can set the value and all works fine but I still can't get the append query to "read" the string which is in the text box for that parameter.

Right now this code is on the OnClick event of a button.

Here is the code:

Dim db As DAO.Database
Dim qdf As DAO.QueryDef
Dim varItem As Variant
Dim strCriteria As String

Set db = CurrentDb()
Set qdf = db.QueryDefs("qry_ch_trans_detail_with_tracking_violation_codes_6a")

For Each varItem In Me!lst_violations.ItemsSelected
strCriteria = strCriteria & ",""" & Me!lst_violations.ItemData(varItem) & """"
Next varItem

If Len(strCriteria) = 0 Then
MsgBox "Please select one or more audit reason", vbExclamation, "Make a seleciton"
Exit Sub
End If

strCriteria = Right(strCriteria, Len(strCriteria) - 1)

Me.txt_viol_list.Value = strCriteria

Set db = Nothing

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
Natalie

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, the second link addressed it. You're opening a QueryDef but not doing anything with it. You could replace the entire SQL of the query with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom