Solved Performance Issues

KACJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:41
I come again to the well of knowledge...

My shop uses a number of Access front-ends. All are connected to various DB instances on a SQL Server. They have been running pretty much faithfully for 10 years. Over the past couple of weeks, though, response time on all of the front-ends has been horrendous. Startup has taken anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes before the main menu is painted. Clicking a button or in a field to enter/edit data results in the dreaded spinning circle for anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds.

We use 32-bit Access because of certain libraries that are not (or no longer) available in 64-bit Access, but this hasn't been an issue.

So what's changed?
1. We upgraded everyone's PC to new 14th-generation Dells with 16GB of memory.
2. The new PCs are running Windows 11.
3. We upgraded from Office 2016 on-prem to Office 365 with on-prem Access.

The PCs do not seem to be PC- or memory-bound. I thought it might be network-related but I don't see a whole lot of utilization on the PC or on the SQL Server.

I'll be happy to provide any additional useful information that i can glean, but I need some help in where to begin to diagnose this.

Regards,
Ken

Which version / build of Access 365 are you running?

Invisible in that mix of new things you might consider the version of the ODBC driver if you are using that. We are also seeing (particularly for O365) that there are bugs affecting file closure. Are you seeing things like "hung processes" running Access under Win11. I'm running Ac2021 LTSC on Win11 and having no slowdown, but I'm also not sharing any DBs so that doesn't really help in the comparison.

My shop uses a number of Access front-ends. All are connected to various DB instances on a SQL Server. They have been running pretty much faithfully for 10 years. Over the past couple of weeks, though, response time on all of the front-ends has been horrendous. Startup has taken anywhere from 3 to 15 minutes before the main menu is painted. Clicking a button or in a field to enter/edit data results in the dreaded spinning circle for anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds.

We use 32-bit Access because of certain libraries that are not (or no longer) available in 64-bit Access, but this hasn't been an issue.

So what's changed?
1. We upgraded everyone's PC to new 14th-generation Dells with 16GB of memory.
2. The new PCs are running Windows 11.
3. We upgraded from Office 2016 on-prem to Office 365 with on-prem Access.

The PCs do not seem to be PC- or memory-bound. I thought it might be network-related but I don't see a whole lot of utilization on the PC or on the SQL Server.

I'll be happy to provide any additional useful information that i can glean, but I need some help in where to begin to diagnose this.

Regards,
Ken
You guys are the best! Digging into research now!

Invisible in that mix of new things you might consider the version of the ODBC driver if you are using that. We are also seeing (particularly for O365) that there are bugs affecting file closure. Are you seeing things like "hung processes" running Access under Win11. I'm running Ac2021 LTSC on Win11 and having no slowdown, but I'm also not sharing any DBs so that doesn't really help in the comparison.
Interesting you should mention this. Every other launch of Access never gets to the splash screen. I have to go into Task Manager and end the MS Access task. The next launch is normal.

Windows 11 ughh.

Terrible upgrade to deal with MS Access databases. If possible roll back to Win 10 and make sure you're hardwired to the server, NO WIFI.

Windows 11 ughh.

Terrible upgrade to deal with MS Access databases. If possible roll back to Win 10 and make sure you're hardwired to the server, NO WIFI.
Can't be done. It's been rolled out organization-wide.
We don't use Wifi within our building. 2Gb ethernet service.

Usually IT tests stuff before pushing out such a massive update.

You can revert the 365 apps if necessary. Reverting the OS is a different issue.

Thank you all for your responses; they were most helpful.

Dropping O365 back one rev level fixed the problem!

Looking forward to Tuesday updates. Hopefully they really did fix the issue.

Regards,
Ken
I can confirm that today's O365 update resolved the slowness issue. Thank you all for your assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom