Petition to remove rep points from the forum (1 Viewer)

Shall the current reputation system (green jellies) be REMOVED from these forums?

• Yes

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • No

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 17:38
This is a petition to Jon to remove the reputation points system in the forum. It is largely just an ego thing (although I think it was intended more to just be able to show appreciation) and I think that it would help things if it were just removed.

I know it has affected me in the past. In fact it really hadn't been used much on the board until one day I saw someone with something in their signature asking to be "repped" if they helped someone. So, I did the same and rapidly rose in the number of rep points.

The other bad thing can be that negative rep can garner ill will amongst people and I have not been immune to that as well. I have received some and I have given some. And since mine is worth so much it can really affect someone and put them in a hole.

So this is my suggestion - we remove that system completely and instead rely on a better process of someone just saying thanks in the thread (IF they desire - no advertising that one) and/or a P.M. to the person that helped. But no advertising that either. If they want to, they will.

So let the discussion begin. Who is for or against this idea?

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 20:38
I'm up for it... we need a poll attached to this thread.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Yesterday, 19:38
I think it's good, although it would be great if, as Bob said, it was replaced by some other means of saying a personal little thank you.... PM doesn't always work, as some people have that turned off.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I think it's good, although it would be great if, as Bob said, it was replaced by some other means of saying a personal little thank you.... PM doesn't always work, as some people have that turned off.

I don't think it needs to be "replaced" with anything. But like some other forums, including the high Microsoft profile Utter Access, they just rely on the threads to speak for themselves and it is fine.

Last edited:

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
I don't think it needs to be "replaced" with anything. But like some other forums, including the high Microsoft profile Utter Access, they just rely on the threads to speak for themselves and it is fine.

I don't mean anything visible....All I mean, is that sometimes you want to say, "thanks" or that was really cool, but people son't except PMs, so I have have found the comment portion of the rep thing beneficial...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
What about having a "Thanks" feature like many forums out there do. You'd just click a button and it would say thanks. I still think we also need a completed check box that would mark a thread answered.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 01:38
No...!

If we take away rep there's nothing between the prolatariat and AWF VIP !!!!

I definitely like them and would be disappointed if it was lost gives me a chance to say thanks to people and I actually live in hope one day of maybe being given some kind of thanks for replying to a post.

I know there seems to be quite a big element of luck to it and having been around for a while I think some should have maybe had more than they have = for instance Ken Higg and GHudson.

And how about pbaldy

Ain't it a bit like deleting someones post count?

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I know there seems to be quite a big element of luck to it and having been around for a while I think some should have maybe had more than they have = for instance Ken Higg and GHudson.
And the reason for that is that some have "advertised" it and I know that it worked for me (<bows head in shame>). The other problem is that the majority of those you help don't even qualify to give points because they are too new to the board and have just a few posts. So it is skewed in that you may help a tremendous number of people out and have a lot of people pressing the button to give you rep (and their comments come through) but no points are awarded due to their status. Now this is the normal setup on vBulletin (default) so to keep people from running up their own reputation by quickly joining a bunch of times and repping themselves, or getting others to do it for them.

It just isn't an equitable system and I think it should be scrapped.

Last edited:

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Oh, and that brings me to post count. It should probably also go away and POSSIBLY still be available in the members list if you want to go look someone up, but it shouldn't appear on threads and it shouldn't appear on the person's profile. That way it is not as ego inducing either. Some don't care and others have their ego inflated by having a large post count (sounds like some other size issue as well :D ) and I have to say that I am one of those who has been affected in the past. I'm trying to work out of it as I have changed but it is always a temptation when you see it daily.

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Those of you that have read the threads in site suggestions will know that I have always been not in favour, the reason that I am not in favour rather than just not caring is that people do use it to say thank you rather than saying so on the thread, thus confirming to any later reader that the solution actually works and the thread is closed.

As has been pointed out there is a lot of luck in whether you get a rep or not, despite writing a fair bit of code in the Excel forum I have never got a rep from there, Excel users obviously don't believe in it.
On the other hand I have gained some good rep points in the Watercooler!!

I think all of these things, including post count need not only good automation and criteria but also a breakdown per forum to have any indication as to a person's value in answering, which I'm sure is how they all started.

Brian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I hope you voted YES on the poll then because a YES vote indicates a removal a NO vote means to retain the current system.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I hope you voted YES on the poll then because a YES vote indicates a removal a NO vote means to retain the current system.

Now you've got me worried. :( I'm sure I voted the correct way, but maybe you have access to which way we voted, some polls show that, and know differently.

Brian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Now you've got me worried. :( I'm sure I voted the correct way, but maybe you have access to which way we voted, some polls show that, and know differently.

Brian

I don't know (and it doesn't show me as I set it up to be a secret vote) but it was perhaps a coincidence, maybe not, that just as your post to the thread occurred a second NO vote appeared. :)

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Ah! sorry to
a Misspell your name
b Cause you to reveal your posting.

brian

I don't mind, I thought I had already revealed it anyways..... :)

As far as mispelling name... I was vary shocked to see it:eek: and I was going to vow never to speak to you again....:p

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
I'm the 2nd no.

I like being able to give someone rep when they have helped me along with saying thanks in the thread. Its like a pat on the back!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've always been ambivalent to the rep system. I appreciate it if someone takes the time to do it, but I've never asked for it and really don't pay much attention to it. I think both rep and post count are the wrong reasons for being here. It's not that hard to to pick out the people who are so motivated.

I do like the post count displayed because I will sometimes adjust my answers based on my perception of the skills of the OP. Their post count can play a small role in that perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom