phantom "Enter Parameter Value" popup (1 Viewer)

weeblebiker

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:15
I'm building a sum query based a range query.

The range query is all the fields I will put in the report and one Criteria on a date field of Between[Start Date]And[End Date]. When I run this query I only get teh Start date and end date popups

The sum query is all expressions in the field cell: Abs(Sum(
[*])), Sum(IIf(
[*]="*",1,0)), and Count(
[*]). the expressions are named "Exp1:,Exp2:,etc,,,". All Table, Sort, and Criteria cells are empty

When I run the second query I get the "start date" and "end date" enter parameter value popups, but I also get a third enter parameter value popup named for one of the fields in the first query or the table. the value entered (Alpha,Numeric,Blank) has no effect on opening the query

I also have a similar phantom enter parameter value popup on a form.

How do I track down the source of these phantom popup and remove them?

dkinley

Access Hack by Choice
Local time
Today, 04:15
My best guesses are to (a) run each sub seperately to see if you get it, (b) use something meaningful instead of exp1, exp2, etc., to help identify, (c) if you copied and pasted a query and used a parameter (click parameter when the query is in design mode, it might be showing up somewhere.

-dK

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 10:15
This thread is a bit of a surprise as you are asking questions on these queries in another thread where you have been advised , by pngbill, to use a form to enter the start and end dates to facilitate the placing of these in the Report.

I also suggested that you only need 1 query.

Have you taken any of these suggestions on board?

Why don't you post your SQL?

Brian

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Once you've taken on board what has been suggested....
I also have a similar phantom enter parameter value popup on a form.

How do I track down the source of these phantom popup and remove them?
Have a look in the Record Source property of your form, click the button that appears when you put the cursor in that property (it should be three dots, that is ...), go through the fields and you will find the missing/incorrect field it's referring to.

weeblebiker

Registered User.
Local time
This thread is a bit of a surprise as you are asking questions on these queries in another thread where you have been advised , by pngbill, to use a form to enter the start and end dates to facilitate the placing of these in the Report.

I also suggested that you only need 1 query.

Have you taken any of these suggestions on board?

Why don't you post your SQL?

Brian

Thanks for the Reply,
I thought it best to to put my query specific questions in the query forum instead of the report forum. And as the phantom popup question is not related to the date popup question,I posted over here.

I have not re read the other post responses yet today, I was not able to open theis site till now.

Yes I switched to one query once I figured out what was initially the problem; First, I didn't know an expression needed to be named, once I knew it needed to de named, the first names I tried was the same word as the field name in the table I was querying, I found out access does not like it when you use the same name for the expression as the name of the field the expression is looking up even though there are no [] around the name of the expression, kinda screwy.

like I said, I'm new at this.

I was able to freehand nest 3 IIf expressions in a 4th IIf expression in a Sum expression on the first try in my query once I was able to figure out where to write them and how to name them.

This Thread is mute now as I'm just re writing the query now before I get into writing the complex expressions and pulling from multiple tables.

I'm chalking the phantom popups to all the writing linking and deleating I was doing in the first query while I was figuring out how this all works.

btw
I'm really impressed with this Message Board :)

weeblebiker

Registered User.
Local time
Once you've taken on board what has been suggested....
Have a look in the Record Source property of your form, click the button that appears when you put the cursor in that property (it should be three dots, that is ...), go through the fields and you will find the missing/incorrect field it's referring to.

Where is the record source property?

Sorry but really, I'm still ignorant on alot of access.
I built the table, then built the form and linked the cells in the form to the table, so the info could be entered through the form. then the repair tech got into it and did something that changed how the records were being ordered in the table and I did some things to fix it and afterword this pop up happened.:eek:

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
... and I did some things to fix it and afterword this pop up happened.:eek:
Obviously fixed it and broke something else :p

Look in the Property Sheet under the DATA tab. Right click your form and select Properties.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Where is the record source property?

I built the table, then built the form and linked the cells in the form to the table, so the info could be entered through the form. :

To have a form bound to a table for input the easy way is to build the table then use a wizard to build the form from the table, the record source will be the Table.

Brian

weeblebiker

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks!
I found that out a few days ago when I clicked on autoform button instead of the database button!:rolleyes:

So on the Query phantom, I copied the query and deleted th suspect columns one by one until the phantom disapeared, then went in to the origenal, deleted and rewrote the offending column. I was not too far into rewriting the whole query, saved some time that way.

The form phantom was a filter by selection that was not turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom