Please help this desperate n00b!!! (1 Viewer)

Yster

Local time
Today, 15:19
Hi All,

I trust that I'm in the right place...

I am a design draughtsman for a small company in South Africa.

We do all our 'job tracking' on an Excel Spreadsheet, but the problem is that:
1) We can only work on this Sheet one at a time
2) The data is visible to everyone within the organisation

I had the idea to upload our spreadsheet to Google Docs, since multiple users can access and edit the spreadsheet at the same time and that you can decide who has access to certain sheets within the workbook. I decided against it when the spreadsheet reached it's 400 000 cell limit.

My next 'logical' step is to try out Access. Unfortunately, my knowledge is very limited and I have a few questions:

1.) Is it possible to have a central database (stored on our server/online) and individual forms on each users/department's PC?

2.) Can mutliple users input data without corrupting the DB?

If the answer is Yes, please be so kind as to guide me in the right direction! I don't know where to start :mad:

Thank you all in advance!!!

Yster

Local time
Oh crap. Just realized that I posted in the wrong section.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:19
In regards to your questions:
  1. Is it possible to have a central database stored on our (server/online) and individual forms on each users/department's PC?
    • YES. This is known as Splitting an Access Database, and is the preferred method of creating shared Databases.
  2. Can mutliple users input data without corrupting the DB?
    • YES. Once a Database has been properly split, the risk of corruption is very limited.
Access provides a Database Splitting Wizard that is very straight forward and relatively easy to use. Read up on it, and if you have any questions, get back to us here.

In regards to your posting in the wrong section, the admins are able to move the thread if it needs to be moved.

Welcome to the Forum and good fortune in your MS Access Projects!

-- Rookie

Yster

Local time
Thank you! I will keep you posted on my progress!

Greetings from South Africa :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom