Problem Copying Database from CD

trebor3900

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:01
I have experienced a problem copying a database from a CDR to the C Drive of a networked machine at work. What happens is that the Database attributes are changed to "Read Only" after being copied. I can change this easily enough but i dont want other users to have the same hassle.

This problem does not occur when i copy the same CDR to my desktop or laptop at home.

Anyone know why this might be?

AFAIK all files on a CD are set to ReadOnly because of the nature of a CD. Copying the file to a hard disk does *not* change the RO attribute. You need to use something like attrib <filename> -R for that. If I'm wrong here, then feel obligated to step in and supply the correct answer.

RuralGuy, trust me, i am as puzzled as you. As i say this does not happen on my machines at home.
But happens every time on my networked machine at work. So is not just a blip, just wondered if anyone else had any ideas how it could happen. I might have some idea how to rectify it

trebor3900 said:
RuralGuy, trust me, i am as puzzled as you. As i say this does not happen on my machines at home.
But happens every time on my networked machine at work. So is not just a blip, just wondered if anyone else had any ideas how it could happen. I might have some idea how to rectify it

I've had this. It seems to only happen on WIN 98 and not on WIN XP

SHADOW

Windows XP is smart enought to remove the read-only attribute when you copy the file from a CD to a disk drive.

You could package the db by zipping it up and using the self-extracting function of WinZip to help the user. That will allow you to define where the file is to be extracted to and also not worry about the read-only attribute if the user has a non Windows XP computer.

Thankyou Ghudson.
I will try it. This forum has never failed me yet. My project would not have been possible without it.

Cheers all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom