Problems opening A97 db in A2k (1 Viewer)

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:23
My organisation has a simple database created in Access 97 that I need to use. I have Access 2000 on my machine.

If I try to open this database I get the usual open/convert dialog box. Whichever option I try I get the same two error messages:
The first tells me that an error occured in loading a form, do I want to continue. The second tells me that the VBA project is corrupt.

Is this a known problem, since I can't find any errors when I open this using Access 97?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Have a search on these forums - this has been discussed many times.

If no luck - post back.

Col
:cool:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:23
Open the db with A97 and compile it. Fix any errors.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
Ok, done the search, read the responses. The only reference error I found was to a Kodak imaging file, which I corrected. (Didn't think this was relevant anyway). Only have references to DAO, not ADO. Same problem.

Pat, yes already tried compiling the db in A97. It compiles without an error.

How can I ensure that the correct references are there on my A2k install? I have opened a dummy file so I can see the reference list and this seems Ok. Does this ensure that it's Ok when I try to open the A97 file?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It may be having trouble with DAO. Try going back to your A97 version and qualifying all DAO object definitions.

Dim xxx as DAO.Database
Dim xxx as DAO.Recordset
Dim xxx as DAO.TableDef
Dim xxx as DAO.QueryDef
etc.

MrTibbs

Registered User.
Local time
access 97 to 2000 conversion gives grey screen only

Can anyone point me a definitive list of all the DAO definitions or any way to recognise them for easy qualification?
We are seeing similar issues converting a 97 front-end to Access 2000. The database opens without error after converting but opens as a plain grey page within the Access border: no text, buttons or anything so we think (from scanning the forums) we need to sort our DAO's from our ADO's

If anyone else knows of any alternative causes for the above grey screen please advise. I would hate to spend ages qualifying our DAO's to discover it is not the problem.

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
Also make sure you are using Office 2000 Sr1 or above.

Initially I had problems converting several A97 dbs with the first Office 2000 release.

neileg

AWF VIP
Local time
KevinM you're a star!

Got our IT peeps to apply all the service releases, and the Database now opens in 2k.

Now I find out it's being rewritten in Oracle!

KevinM

Registered User.
Local time
neileg said:
KevinM you're a star!
:eek:
Now I find out it's being rewritten in Oracle!

Oh the joys of Central IT depts. They do like to 'move the goal posts' now and again to look busy ;)
(private joke where I work)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If you named your tables and columns appropriately, you can just replace your Access tables with links to the Oracle tables and everything will work just as it does now :)

The easiest way to get a definitive list of DAO (or any other type) objects is to just open a code module and type "DAO." without the quotes. Then scroll through the list that comes up.

MrTibbs

Registered User.
Local time
dao. works for me. Thank you.
I have also found f2 (object browser) useful. Now to review all the dim statements to find the dao objects then track them through each module....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom