Prompt using a board of advisors

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:48
I tried a prompt that uses a board of advisors so I can get different angles on tackling a problem. These advisors are ones that I have read a lot about before, and like their philosophy, or approach. Companies are run using boards of advisors because they can give a more balanced view, something that solo entrepreneurs lack. I found the output from the prompt incredibly useful.

My prompt:

You are a board of advisors: Richard Koch, Dr. Eliyahu Goldratt, Tony Robbins, James Clear, and Elon Musk.

I am a 59 year old male living with his 89 year old father in a 4 bedroomed detached house in Crowborough, East Sussex. My father owns the property, but it has a £xx mortgage on it. The garden is 1.2 acres. The house is worth about £xx and we have savings of £xx between us. Much of that is invested in a Vanguard S&P500 index tracking fund.

The house has a lot of stuff in it that needs pruning. I find it hard to know what to keep, throw away or try to sell. It all takes a lot of time too. But the house also could do with some internal painting. And I need a chipper to remove a lot of branches and shrubbery in the garden. I need to get someone to paint the outside of the house too.

I am not sure how to allocate my time, and also find it difficult knowing whether to try to sell stuff or throw it away, because the time taken to sell stuff could be allocated to things like painting the inside of the property.

As a board of advisors, I want each one of you to give me your expert advice based on your own personal experience and philosophy. What would you advise? Give your answers in the following format:

Richard Koch:
- advice 1...
- advice 2...
- etc

Dr. Eliyahu Goldratt
- advice 1...
- advice 2...
- etc

And so on.

It's response:

Here’s how your board of advisors might approach your situation:

---

**Richard Koch (80/20 Principle):**
- **Focus on the 20% that yields 80% of the results**: Identify the small number of items or tasks that, if dealt with, will provide the most significant impact on the house and your time. Decluttering is likely a high-leverage activity that could free up mental and physical space.
- **Delegate or outsource lower-value tasks**: Hiring someone to paint the exterior or use a chipper may be a better use of funds than spending your time on these tasks. Focus on tasks that only you can do.
- **Invest in a few key projects**: Rather than spreading yourself thin, identify a few key areas (such as major decluttering or improving the garden) that will improve the value of the property or your quality of life.

---

**Dr. Eliyahu Goldratt (Theory of Constraints):**
- **Identify the primary constraint**: What is the biggest bottleneck in your situation? It could be physical clutter, time, or even decision fatigue. Addressing this constraint first will unlock further progress.
- **Exploit the constraint**: Once you've identified the bottleneck, focus all your energy on improving that one area until it’s no longer a limitation. For example, if decision-making on decluttering is the constraint, make faster decisions by setting rules (e.g., discard or sell anything you haven’t used in the last year).
- **Subordinate everything else**: Temporarily set aside other tasks like painting or gardening until you've resolved the primary constraint. Avoid multitasking or spreading yourself too thin.

---

**Tony Robbins (Peak Performance & Emotional Mastery):**
- **Change your state, change your outcome**: When you feel overwhelmed, take control of your physical and emotional state. Use movement, breathing, or a quick win (like tidying a single area) to create momentum.
- **Leverage your time through others**: Don’t try to do everything yourself. Empower others—whether professionals or friends/family—to take on tasks like external painting or the garden.
- **Align with your higher purpose**: Tie your decisions to a vision for your future. If you’re considering retirement, your focus should be on simplifying your life. Ask yourself, “Does this bring me closer to the lifestyle I want?”

---

**James Clear (Atomic Habits):**
- **Start small to build momentum**: Instead of overwhelming yourself with major projects, break tasks down into tiny, manageable actions. For example, spend 15 minutes each day decluttering a specific room or corner of the garden.
- **Create systems, not just goals**: A system for decluttering could involve setting specific rules about what to keep, sell, or discard. Stick to simple, repeatable habits that gradually reduce clutter over time.
- **Use environment design**: Arrange your house to make progress easier. For example, have clear “sell,” “keep,” and “discard” boxes ready, so when you tackle clutter, decisions are streamlined.

---

**Elon Musk (First Principles Thinking):**
- **Question assumptions**: Challenge traditional approaches. Why declutter in small batches when you could hire a professional to do it all at once? Why not consider renting out or downsizing if managing such a large space is burdensome?
- **Leverage technology**: Use online platforms like Facebook Marketplace or apps like eBay to quickly sell items without too much hassle. Automate where possible.
- **Optimize for efficiency**: The house is a valuable asset, but make sure you're optimizing your time and energy around the tasks that provide the most return—whether that's financial or emotional. Consider selling things in bulk or hiring someone to manage this process.

---

By synthesizing their advice, you can start by addressing the primary constraint (likely the clutter), focusing on high-impact actions, delegating or outsourcing tasks where possible, and creating a structured habit for gradual progress.

Interesting concept. One thing that intrigued me is: "When you feel overwhelmed, take control of your physical and emotional state. Use movement, breathing, or a quick win (like tidying a single area) to create momentum."

ChatGPT?

Not sure what you mean when you say ChatGPT? If you are asking which LLM I used, then yes it is ChatGPT.

Tony Robbins is always going on about changing your physical state to alter your emotional state. One leads to the other. It is a bit like people saying you should smile if you feel down, because the act of smiling triggers stuff in the brain associated with feeling good.

Most of the benefit I go from my prompt was from Richard Koch and Dr. Eliyahu Goldratt, although all contributed something. The least value I got was from Elon Musk, funnily enough.

I took all those answers and then asked ChatGPT to give me an executive summary of them. It helped, although not a great deal since the bullet points in its first reply were very useful. In fact, I have now created a box that has Sell, Dump, and Donate written on the sides and I've started to add stuff to them already.

The Goldratts comments about bottlenecks and decision making were also really useful. Knowing what to do with items is indeed a constraint on the speed through which I get rid of stuff.

Most of the benefit I go from my prompt was from Richard Koch and Dr. Eliyahu Goldratt, [...]

In fact, I have now created a box that has Sell, Dump, and Donate written on the sides and I've started to add stuff to them already.
Interesting that you perceived the advice of "Koch" and "Goldratt" as most beneficial, while you actually implemented the advice of "James Clear". :LOL:
BTW: I highly recommend Atomic Habits.

When using AI tools like ChatGPT, a useful prompt strategy is to employ the Six Thinking Hats method developed by Edward de Bono. This framework helps the AI explore a question from multiple angles:-

1. White Hat – Focuses on objective facts and data.

2. Red Hat – Considers emotions and feelings surrounding the issue.

3. Black Hat – Identifies potential risks and challenges.

4. Yellow Hat – Highlights the positive aspects and benefits.

5. Green Hat – Encourages creative ideas and alternative solutions.

6. Blue Hat – Manages the thinking process and ensures that all perspectives are covered.

By applying all six hats to a single problem, you encourage a comprehensive and balanced exploration of the issue.

Just say something like please explore the following, using Edward De Bono's thinking hats...

Last edited:
Interesting that you perceived the advice of "Koch" and "Goldratt" as most beneficial, while you actually implemented the advice of "James Clear". :LOL:
BTW: I highly recommend Atomic Habits.
Yes, Atomic Habits is good. The part I liked from James Clear was what he termed, from memory, Choice Architecture. Having those boxes front and centre increases the odds of them getting used. It helps improve your choices.

But for me, Koch and Goldratt helped the most because they address some of the more difficult areas for me. The boxes themselves don't actually address the difficulty in making the decisions or what to focus on. A big bottleneck for me is making the decision on each item. I get stuck.

The benefit of the board of advisors is that you get good insight from a variety of minds, all whom add their bit to the mix.

Last edited:
I had another go, this time using Nassim Taleb, instead of a board of advisors. Different answers, a different angle on things, but again useful.

Response:
Nassim Taleb:
- **Focus on optionality**: Start by identifying the tasks that give you the most flexibility and potential upside. Selling items, for instance, could provide financial returns, but if the time cost is too high, it limits your optionality elsewhere. Don't waste time on things that won't bring significant returns.

- **Avoid paralysis by analysis**: The more time you spend deciding whether to sell or discard something, the less you are acting. The uncertainty around selling is a form of complexity you can simplify. If an item has little resale value or takes too long to sell, discard it. The value of your time is higher.

- **Lindy effect of your environment**: Things that have been lying around for years without use aren't likely to suddenly gain importance or value. Unless an item is irreplaceable or holds high sentimental value, its time is probably up. Decluttering will improve the space you live in, which has its own psychological value.

- **Barbell strategy for your home projects**: Break your tasks into extremes—handle the high-priority tasks (like external painting, which protects the property value) and low-hanging fruit (quick wins like pruning the garden) first. Delegate the medium-risk, time-consuming tasks (e.g., internal painting) to someone else if possible. Focus your own efforts where they’ll bring the most significant impact.

- **Skin in the game**: Get involved in the physical aspects of the projects where you can. Things like pruning or simple decluttering are tasks you can tackle directly, saving money and giving you a sense of progress. Painting the house internally may be worth delegating if you can use that time more effectively.

- **Long-term antifragility**: Improving your house and garden increases the optionality of your property—if you want to sell or rent out the home, it becomes a more appealing asset. The more resilient the property, the better positioned you are for future decisions. Handle the important structural tasks (external painting) sooner rather than later to preserve or enhance value.

- **Don’t overlook time as a currency**: Your time is finite, and spending it on low-yield activities like selling items for minimal gains diminishes the overall value of your life. If you can afford to donate or throw away, do so without regret, and focus your energy on things that create value for you and your father now.

When using AI tools like ChatGPT, a useful prompt strategy is to employ the Six Thinking Hats method developed by Edward de Bono. This framework helps the AI explore a question from multiple angles:-

1. White Hat – Focuses on objective facts and data.

2. Red Hat – Considers emotions and feelings surrounding the issue.

3. Black Hat – Identifies potential risks and challenges.

4. Yellow Hat – Highlights the positive aspects and benefits.

5. Green Hat – Encourages creative ideas and alternative solutions.

6. Blue Hat – Manages the thinking process and ensures that all perspectives are covered.

By applying all six hats to a single problem, you encourage a comprehensive and balanced exploration of the issue.

Just say something like please explore the following, using Edward De Bono's thinking hats...
I used to love reading Edward de Bono books. I've had several before, like Laterial Thinking. I used to think the ideas were so clever.

Have you used the Six Thinking Hats with ChatGPT before? I can see that being a useful tool.

An idea has come to mind, and something I have used before with ChatGPT. You can have a number of thinking tools instead of a board of advisors. It could be say the Six Thinking Hats, the 80:20 philosophy, and the Theory of Constraints. You can stack the tools you think are most relevant to the problem you are tackling, or even throw in a few whacky ones to give you more creative insights.

Have you used the Six Thinking Hats with ChatGPT before? I can see that being a useful tool.
Yes I have used it on several occasions... It does waffle on a bit but it can give you a hint as to where there's a problem or a Nugget of an idea but I couldn't give you any specifics!

Last edited:
I'm finding the AI so useful for coming up with ideas, advice and so on. I use it all the time at the moment.

I use it all the time at the moment.
I rarely use Google Search anymore! AI results are usually spot on, if there's an error it's usually because I haven't explained properly! All you do is say no sorry I meant such and such and then you get the correct answer come back...

It occurred to me that the AI interface could also present you with adverts - like Google search... Imagine an AI that is party to your thoughts, ideas and workflow... It would be able to present you with relevant ads that you actually might look at, instead of the hit and miss approach that Google uses...

Update the AI so that it goes and negotiates for you to get the best price... A bit far-fetched, but what if your AI could work together with other AI'S, order a container load of something and then have it distributed to all of the participants?

I find chat gpt isn't any good for getting information about specific entities, like a business revenue for example, at least the ones i've tried

getting information about specific entities, like a business revenue for example,
In the UK we have access to "Companies House" via the web. We can look up basic information about a company... Do you have anything similar in the USA?

I asked Chatty.

Companies House is the executive agency of the British Government that maintains the register of companies. Is there something comparable in the USA?

ChatGPT said:​

In the United States, there isn't a single, centralized national agency equivalent to the UK's Companies House. Instead, business registration and incorporation are handled at the state level by the Secretary of State or similar state government offices in each of the 50 states. These state offices are responsible for maintaining records of company formations, annual filings, and other related corporate information.

For example:

• In Delaware, a popular state for incorporation, the Delaware Division of Corporations handles these tasks.
  • In California, it's the California Secretary of State.
  • In New York, it's the New York Department of State.
To search for company information across the U.S., people often use private databases like Dun & Bradstreet, LexisNexis, or OpenCorporates, which aggregate public business registration data from various states.

Each state typically has its own portal where businesses can register and file their necessary documents, but there’s no unified, nationwide system like Companies House in the UK.

we do have the better business bureau, s&p, and google.

what I mean is chat gpt is light on information about specific entities, but big on generalized information on a topic

Try Perplexity for specific information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom