Property sheet not working (1 Viewer)

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:01
I am trying to modify VBA code on a form and for some reason the property sheet is coming up blank - in design mode I get literally nothing, just a big grey box

I have exited access and repaired database

Anyone seen this and ideas ??

Ranman256

Local time
Today, 17:01
it doesnt sound like a database problem....its an Access problem.
in control panel, you may need to run a repair/reinstall on Access.

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
tried a full laptop close down and restart and even that didn't work

:banghead::banghead:

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
Frustrating. I have no experience of this but a couple of ideas.

If Ranman256 is right, the same problem will exist regardless which database you open. Do you have any other databases to open and check if the same thing is happening?

Also, in Form Design View in the toolbar at the top next to "Property Sheet" is "Add Existing Fields". They both use the same box so when you click one, the other disappears. See if you still have a blank box when you select "Add Existing Fields".

Worth checking before you reinstall or repair Access, but I suspect it will come to that.

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
it seems to be on certain forms but not on every one within the SAME database

but when it works on the first one then it locks up the toolbar - I cant even go back to the form design from design mode

really strange

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
Try creating a new database and import all the objects from your database to the new one and see if that works. Sometimes databases get corrupted in strange ways.

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
Try creating a new database and import all the objects from your database to the new one and see if that works. Sometimes databases get corrupted in strange ways.

funny that's what I did but not all the objects imported - I need to have another go at that next week

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:01
When you do an import that supposedly asks for all X in the source database, you should see some sort of error for the things that didn't import correctly. Access frequently builds an error table or an exception table that lists the things that didn't import - and why. Look for that.

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
update - interestingly I have just tried to create a new database and import from the old one.

A key error on the forms is that it says it can read the VBA on the forms and hence didn't import any of the forms. Suggesting to delete ALL the VBA before importing.:banghead:

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
are there any "BETTER" (and safe) repair programs other than that supplied by MS

Orthodox Dave

Home Developer
Local time
I appreciate your difficult scenario.
A key error on the forms is that it says it can read the VBA on the forms and hence didn't import any of the forms.
I assume you mean can't read the VBA.

Perhaps it's time to implement Ranman256's suggestion to repair or reinstall Access, as you've almost exhausted all possibilities and it must be impacting your work.

If that doesn't solve it, you could try these:

1. What happens when you try to compile the VBA?
2. Having imported the non-form database objects to a new database, you could try importing the forms one at a time. I doubt ALL the forms' VBA is unreadable.
3. If you have a backup database from when it was working, you could import the offending forms from that one and take it from there.

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Guys,

I am still living with this problem. So far I have:-

- reinstalled whole MS Office suite
- copied to another database

I have determined that it is related to just this database and to a corruption within it. I have copied forms over and found the error reoccur. I'm not sure exactly which form it is yet. But thinking its either in a form or in a module.

I'm thinking of doing a step by step, copy of forms and testing to see when it recurs.:banghead:

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
This is definitely proper corruption. When you find the offending form (import them one at a time) you will probably have lost it and the code.

Only recourse is to find an old working back up if you have one and import just that form. That way you'll only lose the work you did on that one form.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
before you do anything, copy the database, as it is very possible that your repair attempts may worsen the problem.

do you have a recent saved version you can use, instead of this version

going forward, it is always worth saving a pristine unused copy of the database in the event of any corruption issues. I save new versions of my databases every time I make a change, so I can always find a good version.

One other thing, although its probably not the issue here, is that if your database ever reaches 2Gb, you may find the database just becomes unuseable, and also unrepairable.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 05:01
Did you try to Decompile the dB? Create a shortcut on the desktop:
c:\accesspath\msaxcess.exe /Decompile

Run this and open your dB. While inside use compact and repair several times. Then exit access.

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
thanks for the feedback so far and size is 25,856 kb.
I tried importing forms one by one into a new database and its was one of the first forms loaded that fell over - first indication was the "View" button to move out of design mode that played up.
Im' gunna try to decompile

Lanason

Registered User.
Local time
@Static

I've done the export to text - but how does the IMPORT work ???

do I have to name each object individually???

static

Registered User.
Local time
@Static

I've done the export to text - but how does the IMPORT work ???

do I have to name each object individually???

Well at a glance, the code labels each file with the object type, so when you are loading them back in check the filename and replace the constants accordingly.

Code:
select case true
    case left(filename,len("form_")) = "form_"
        Application.LoadFromText acForm, filenameWithoutType, "C:\Temp\" & filename
    case left(filename,len("report_")) = "report_"
        Application.LoadFromText acReport,  filenameWithoutType, "C:\Temp\" & filename
...etc...

I would suggest once you have this working you keep it in your tool library.
I don't develop Access databases anymore but this is the method I always used at first signs of weirdness.

Don't forget to reapply any references to the new copy.
And if you have any queries beginning with ~ you can safely delete them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom