Query columns with no specific order (1 Viewer)

rob247

Local time
Today, 03:47
I have a large query of 70,000 records or so. Four of the columns in the query contain name, address, state, and zip but in no specific order. One record may have the name in the 1st column while the next record might have the name in the 3rd column. These columns are named reg1,reg2,reg3,& reg4. I was wondering if there was anyway to query my existing query and pull all the records with the last name johnson. I have tried to place johnson in the criteria of a select query but realize that it is looking only for the criteria 'johnson'.

Thanks for any help!

Fornatian

Dim Person
Local time
Today, 08:47
rob, if you mean can i find all records with johnson in any of the four fields then yes you can. place the word 'johnson' as criteria for your first field, then move down and right a 'cell' and type 'johnson' and continue until all fields have 'johnson' under them diagonally as you look at the screen. run the query.

placing the criteria on different lines is the same as saying 'this' OR'that' OR 'the other'

rob247

Local time
Today, 03:47
Thanks Fornation,

You answered part of my question, but I think I left out one aspect of the problem. The data does not only consist of the word "Johnson". It might be "Anna B. Johnson" or it might have a title included in the field. The information is being drawn from different source companies who all have different ways of entering info into their seperate DB's. The Reg1 columns are umbrella columns made by the company who provides us with the table. So is their anyway to make the criteria look for "johnson" that might appear anywhere in a cell?

Thanks Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom