stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 19:45
Hi all.
I have two tables
TBLOrderDetails
TBLShelfnumbers

within the TBLOrderDetails I have used the look up wizard to see all the Shelf locations from TBLShelfnumbers

I have got the query to search for what ever is on the first entry in the form but wont do all records?
Code:
<>[Forms]![FRM_Stock_OnGoing]![ShelfNo]

Last edited:

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you post a copy of the db with just a few fictitious records.

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Example

Attachments

• Example.accdb
    640 KB · Views: 38

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
I have even tried a Dlookup but again only searches for the record the curser is on not all the records

DLookUp("[ShelfNumber]","TBLShelfnumbers","[ShelfNumber]=[Forms]![FRM_Orders_OnGoing]![ShelfNo]")

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:45
within the TBLOrderDetails I have used the look up wizard to see all the Shelf locations from TBLShelfnumbers

I have got the query to search for what ever is on the first entry in the form but wont do all records?

Never mind the fields and never mind the example DB. What, in common language, are you trying to do. We do better in advising you if you tell us your goal, not your method.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:45
Your relationship is backwards. The Shelf Numbers table needs what we call a foreign key (FK). This field points to the "parent" record in the Order Details table. So, remove the ShelfNumber from the Order Details table and add OrderDetailsID to the Shelf Number table. If this is a many-to-many relationship, then you need a third table which we call a junction table. Look at this very simple schema of students and classes.

tblStudents
StudentID (PK)
StudentName

tblClasses
ClassID (PK)
ClassName

tblStudentClasses
StudentClassID (PK)
ClassID (FK to tblClasses)
StudentID (FK to tblStudents)

PS - I know this is a sample but it is poor practice to name all your ID's "ID". Use descriptive names so you have a shot at figuring out what table they belong to just by their name.

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Never mind the fields and never mind the example DB. What, in common language, are you trying to do. We do better in advising you if you tell us your goal, not your method.
In the example under TBLOrderDetails_All, the shelf numbers list I only want it to show the ones that haven't been allocated to an order

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In the example under TBLOrderDetails_All, the shelf numbers list I only want it to show the ones that haven't been allocated to an order
Once you fix the tables to get the relationships correctly defined, (make sure the default for the Order Details FK is null), you would search for rows with null in the FK field.

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Once you fix the tables to get the relationships correctly defined, (make sure the default for the Order Details FK is null), you would search for rows with null in the FK field.
All I wanted to do was run a query from an already open form but as mentioned its only searching the record that the curser is on rather than the whole form

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All I wanted to do was run a query from an already open form but as mentioned its only searching the record that the curser is on rather than the whole form
That's the way forms work.

Are you sure that one shelf can only appear on one order? If so, create a query with a left join that selects all the rows in the shelf table where there is no match in the details table.

There is something wrong with the logic of why you are doing this query this way.

stu_c

Registered User.
Local time
Hello
Yes, it is only one shelf per order on this form we need

That's the way forms work.

Are you sure that one shelf can only appear on one order? If so, create a query with a left join that selects all the rows in the shelf table where there is no match in the details table.

There is something wrong with the logic of why you are doing this query this way.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 02:45
I don't know which form to work, so I worked on TblDetails_All form.
see if this resolved your issue.

Attachments

• Example.accdb
    832 KB · Views: 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom