Queryfor this years date (1 Viewer)

Anthony George

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 21:57
Hi Everyone

I wonder if you could help me

I have designed a Memo type program to remind me of all of the things in my life I need to keep track of for example:- Names, Addresses, Birthdays, Serial numbers, Expiry dates e.t.c.

It only has 2 fields and a typical record might look like :- 1 Expiry Date: 03/11/15 House Insurance

I need to write a query to examine each record looking for instr Dates in the format shown above and only returning the ones for the current year.

Kindest Regards

Tony

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
If the date is stored as a date datatype rather then a string then:
WHERE Year([datefield]) = Year(Date())

This will also work for a string date because it will implicitly convert the string to a date according to the Windows Regional date format.

It would be more efficient for dates stored as strings to use:
WHERE Right([strDate],2) = Year(Date())

BTW There are implicit datatype conversions in that expression too.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 06:57
While the above is the easy answer note that it requires the query to process every date in the table.

This is a very good reason to store dates as dates because the following much more efficient clause can be applied.

Code:
WHERE [datefield] BETWEEN DateSerial(Year(Date()),1,1) AND DateSerial(Year(Date)+1,1,0)

This query can use the index on the date field to directly select the records without further processing.

Anthony George

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for a very quick reply.
I will give it a try and get back to you.
Regards
Tony

Anthony George

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Galaxiom
Thank's for your help with this one. By extractiing the information you gave me i was able to get my query working.
Thank's Again
Kindest Regards
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom