Quote that should be read (1 Viewer)

jpl458

Local time
Today, 01:30
“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.” - Sherlock Holmes.

Conclusions should be based on facts. It is wrong to have a conclusions first, then search for or make up facts to to fit a more than likely false conclusion.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
It's tricky though, because according to the scientific method, we should observe, theorize, and predict before we produce detailed data.
Code:
Scientific method order of events: 1) observe, 2) hypothesize [theorize], 3) predict, 4) experiment, 5) analyze [conclude].
In the scientific method, one theorizes BEFORE one experiments, and I expect it is during experimentation that the "data" you refer to is produced.

How about: It is a capital mistake to oversimplify how to render a correct conclusion. In particular, extracting a line or two from a fictional account, most likely created to develop character and entertain the reader, is fraught with hazard.

jpl458

Local time
I was talking about politics, not science. It was a quote from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:30
I was talking about politics, not science. It was a quote from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
He lived in my town, Crowborough. There is a statue of him here.

GaP42

Local time
Today, 18:30
1. Science does follw that pattern - you can't theorize without having some data (observations) on which to base your hypothesis. Theories grow from the accumulation of verified hyporheses - all of which can fall down or require modification if the facts do not support the theory.
2. Arthur Conan Doyle was somewhat flawed - he believed in Fairies - the famous photograph of the fairies in the garden was convincing tro him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom