Recordset.AddNew or acCmdRecordsGoToNew (1 Viewer)

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:35
Hi all Please can you advise on following. When I add a new linked invoice to a customer record for the first time it only works if I use - Recordset.AddNew If there are already linked records then this works fine - DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew BUT If I use Recordset.AddNew the primary key in the underlying table misses a number, e.g. 1,3,5,7 etc. This doesn't happen when using acCmdRecordsGoToNew So to reduce missing primary key numbers I came up with the following On Current event procedure. Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 0 Then Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] Else Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] End If End Sub Please can you advise on : 1. Does it matter which 'new record' code I use 2. Does it matter that the primary key misses a number 3. Has anyone got any better suggestions for code please From 'Googling' so far I think I've drawn the conclusion I can use either and it doesn't matter if the primary key jumps a number (although doesn't seem quite right to me). Thanks

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Trying again with code Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 0 Then Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] Else Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] End If End Sub

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:35
On the advanced editor press the # sign and put formatted text in between the code tags, it will maintain white space and tabulation.

Code:
     this
         :)

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Hi all Please can you advise on following.
Code:
When I add a new linked invoice to a customer record for the first time it only works if I use - Recordset.AddNew
Code:
If there are already linked records then this works fine - DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew BUT If I use Recordset.AddNew the primary key in the underlying table misses a number, e.g. 1,3,5,7 etc.
Code:
This doesn't happen when using acCmdRecordsGoToNew So to reduce missing primary key numbers I came up with the following On Current event procedure.
Code:
Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCoun t = 0 Then Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] Else Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] End If End Sub
Code:
Please can you advise on : 1. Does it matter which 'new record' code I use
Code:
2. Does it matter that the primary key misses a number
Code:
3. Has anyone got any better suggestions for code please From 'Googling' so far I think I've drawn the conclusion I can use either and it doesn't matter if the primary key jumps a number (although doesn't seem quite right to me). Thanks

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Hi all Please can you advise on following. When I add a new linked invoice to a customer record for the first time it only works if I use - Recordset.AddNew
Code:

Code:
If there are already linked records then this works fine - DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew BUT If I use Recordset.AddNew the primary key in the underlying table misses a number, e.g. 1,3,5,7 etc.
Code:

This doesn't happen when using acCmdRecordsGoToNew So to reduce missing primary key numbers I came up with the following On Current event procedure. Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCoun t = 0 Then Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] Else Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] End If End Sub Please can you advise on : 1. Does it matter which 'new record' code I use 2. Does it matter that the primary key misses a number 3. Has anyone got any better suggestions for code please From 'Googling' so far I think I've drawn the conclusion I can use either and it doesn't matter if the primary key jumps a number (although doesn't seem quite right to me). Thanks

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Hi all Please can you advise on following.

Hi all Please can you advise on following. When I add a new linked invoice to a customer record for the first time it only works if I use - Recordset.AddNew If there are already linked records then this works fine - DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew BUT If I use Recordset.AddNew the primary key in the underlying table misses a number, e.g. 1,3,5,7 etc. This doesn't happen when using acCmdRecordsGoToNew So to reduce missing primary key numbers I came up with the following On Current event procedure. Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCoun t = 0 Then Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] Else Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] End If End Sub Please can you advise on : 1. Does it matter which 'new record' code I use 2. Does it matter that the primary key misses a number 3. Has anyone got any better suggestions for code please From 'Googling' so far I think I've drawn the conclusion I can use either and it doesn't matter if the primary key jumps a number (although doesn't seem quite right to me). Thanks

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Code:
Hi all Please can you advise on following. When I add a new linked invoice to a customer record for the first time it only works if I use - Recordset.AddNew

Code:

Code:
This doesn't happen when using acCmdRecordsGoToNew So to reduce missing primary key numbers I came up with the following On Current event procedure.

Private Sub Form_Current() If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCoun t = 0 Then Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] Else Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName] End If End Sub
Code:
Please can you advise on : 1. Does it matter which 'new record' code I use 2. Does it matter that the primary key misses a number 3. Has anyone got any better suggestions for code please From 'Googling' so far I think I've drawn the conclusion I can use either and it doesn't matter if the primary key jumps a number (although doesn't seem quite right to me). Thanks

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Minty but what an effort. Don't recall it being this tricky last time I posted. Maybe wrong end of day ! Don't suppose you have an answer to my code query do you ? ta.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 10:35
Let me help

Hi all Please can you advise on following. When I add a new linked invoice to a customer record for the first time it only works if I use - Recordset.AddNew If there are already linked records then this works fine - DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew BUT If I use Recordset.AddNew the primary key in the underlying table misses a number, e.g. 1,3,5,7 etc. This doesn't happen when using acCmdRecordsGoToNew So to reduce missing primary key numbers I came up with the following On Current event procedure.
Code:
Private Sub Form_Current()
If Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.RecordsetClone.RecordCount = 0 Then
    Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.Form.Recordset.AddNew
    Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName]
Else
    Me.subfrmInvoiceNew.SetFocus
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew
    Forms![frmInvoiceNew]![subfrmInvoiceNew].Form![RaisedBy] = Forms![frmpassword].Form![EmployeeName]
End If
End Sub
Please can you advise on : 1. Does it matter which 'new record' code I use 2. Does it matter that the primary key misses a number 3. Has anyone got any better suggestions for code please From 'Googling' so far I think I've drawn the conclusion I can use either and it doesn't matter if the primary key jumps a number (although doesn't seem quite right to me). Thanks

Tim Bedborough

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Gasman, looks better. All I need now is some feedback on the original code query. Roll on home time. Got my hat and coat on already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom