Recordset is not updatable (1 Viewer)

L15a5

Local time
Today, 22:55
Several records have been entered without one or two fields being completed.

I have now discovered that users cannot go back to edit them in the forms. Although they can be edited in the database window (which I don’t want my users to do).

Originally “Allow Edits, Deletions & Additions” were set to NO. I have now changed them to YES, but the forms STILL don't allow edits or additions.

Where else do I need to change settings to allow these changes? It’s doing my head in. Please help.

Lisa

L15a5

Local time
Yes I did. However I think I may have stumbled across the answer.

The "Recordset" property was set to "Dynaset" (whatever that is ???).
I changed it to "Dynaset (inconsistant updates)" and now it seems to allow me to edit.

It works, but I guess I could do with knowing what it means, as I don't know if this will have a knock on effect on anything else.

Lisa
:confused:

P.S Does anybody know why my post envelope has a spot on it???

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
Knock-on effect? I should say so! This means that refererential integrity won't be preserved unless you have it specifically set up in your relationships window! WOE, WOE and THRICE WOE! Read HELP on Inconsistent Updates to see what effect this could have.

You should also read up about non-updateable recordsets...

L15a5

Local time
Hmmmmmm....

Well I'll keep trying to work it out. But if you have any suggestions as to why I cant update this info I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Lisa

RedSkies

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:55
Believe it or not, the same thing just happened to me

My back end data table file was corrupted due to an improperly entered record (missing fields - it's a long story, and I'm going to assume no one cares ;) ).

At any rate, the standard repair utility within Access 2000 was unable to fix it. I kept getting an error that is was not repairable. However, I was able to finally get it repaired using the JETCOMP utility (thank goodness for that little beauty). However, when I attempted to enter data using the linked interface file, I got the same "Recordset is not updateable" that you're experiencing. To make a long story short, if it's not already too late for that! - I eventually discovered that my primary data table, to which almost all the others are related, no longer had a primary key. For whatever reason, although the field was still there, its primary key designation was gone - must have happened during the repair process.

Have a closer look at your data tables. Hopefully the same thing that happened to me, also happened in your case.

Good luck!

Last edited:

vangogh228

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:55
I don't think we have enough information to determine the answer yet. You talk about info being entered in forms... but what are the forms based on... tables, queries?

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
If you allow inconsistent updates, you may be faced with a scenario (say) where you have an order with a CustomerID that doesn't exist in your Customer table. So it's better to investigate why your records are not updateable. You are certainly basing your form on more than one table, in which case, the fields you select have a direct bearing on whether it's updateable.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304475

The above link explains about updatability of queries...

L15a5

Local time
Don't worry, I've removed the inconsistant bit.

The record source for the form I wish to allow edits on, is a query that uses data from two tables. The primary key is still present on all tables.

However, I've found some records that are missing some data (fields which have a relationship in the query). I should have these fixed today. But surely that would simply prevent those records being shown??

cogent1

Registered User.
Local time
That would entirely depend on how your tables were joined. But the point is that someone could accidentally enter crucial data about an invoice and assign it to a non-existent customer. Bringing up the real customer's records would then not reveal that invoice! You're bankrupt!!!:mad:

Did you investigate that link to see why your recordset might not be updateable?

L15a5

Local time
I did read it. But to be totally honest. I didn't understand some of it. I haven't been using Access for that long.

I know that at some stage it DID work properly. Unfortunately I didn't keep copies of the version I build. (A lesson learnt:rolleyes: )

I've decided that I'm going to rebuild the last bits. I'll keep an eye on it step by step, and I'll save each stage seperately so that I've got something to revert to if it goes wrong again.

Thanks for all your help
Lisa ;)

I've found a temporary soloution .

I only need ONE field from the second table, so for now, I've deleted it from the query. I guess I need to learn more about building queries, and maybe learn to walk before I run. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom