Report not displaying a combined text field (1 Viewer)

u0rjgr

Local time
Yesterday, 18:49
Hi,

I am having a problem with one of my reports. Basically I want to display (in the report) a box from my form that has been produced by combining the data from two other boxes on that form.

On the form it displays fine but I have noticed that in the actual table that the form reads from there is no entry, obviously not picking up the data that I can see on the form.

Do you guys know if there is a way of displaying the combined data that I can see on the form so that it appears within the table and the report.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :D

I am using Access 2003.

Thanks,

Andy

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Generally you would not want to store it in the table, since it can be derived from data already stored. Simply recreate the calculation on the report.

u0rjgr

Local time
Thanks for the reply.

The problem is the calculation takes the info from the autonumber e.g '1' and a field that has a default value 'BP', I am combining these two boxes to create the field that is displayed on my form 'BP1' . I would just use the autonumber field but I need a text reference to be inserted into this i.e. 'BP1' instead of just '1'.

Thing is when I run a report the box that should say 'BP1' is blank and when I put the formula of =[Project ID] & [Risk ID] into the control box it prompts me to enter the values!

Hope that makes sense!

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If those 2 fields are included in the record source of the report, you should not get prompted; that expression should work just as it does on the form.

Welcome to the site by the way.

u0rjgr

Local time
Thanks for this Paul. I don't know what I was doing but have got it to work. Been a real pain though. :rolleyes:

I have read on the site that you guys say that autonumber won't always number consecutively, does this happen alot as I am worried now as I will be relying on autonumber to provide me with consecutive numbering in my database. FYI: its a project risks database.

Apologise for the naievity but I last studied access at Uni over 9 years ago! (bet you hear that all the time!)

Thanks again and keep up the great work with this forum, really good info :D

Andy

Add Notes: I have just been reading about the DMax function but am unsure where I incorporate this (in the table within a field?) in order to enable it. Plus the actual code would be good to know to. Just read some good posts on this topic so giving it a shot myself!

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
You heard correctly; autonumbers can skip numbers. One example is if you open a bound form for data entry, then change your mind. The number that would have been given to the new record will not be used for the next new record; it's gone. Here's a bit of a discussion:

http://www.mdbmakers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3091

I've used autonumbers as user-visible numbers in several apps, but only after confirming that they don't care about skipped numbers. DMax() is one common way of assigning your number. I believe it's typically done in the insert event, so that it's not retrieved until the last second (if you get it when you start a record, in a multi-user environment you run the risk of 2 people getting the same number).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom