Require answer for option group on form (1 Viewer)

biggcc

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:23
I'm creating an employee survey database and I'm using option groups for collecting general information such as office, department, etc. My question is can I make it a requirement for them to answer an option group before moving on to other questions? I'm trying to control and track how many employees have taken the survey. Right now I can skip these general information questions and just go into the survey questions so I'm trying to prevent that. Also in the same train of thought is it possible to not save any incomplete surveys? Say I have 50 questions and someone starts the survey but only answers 10 questions and then exits for whatever reason. I would like that record to be deleted so it does not count. If I allow incomplete surveys then I can get skewed numbers.

As always you help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chester Campbell

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 17:23
First of all, are all the questions on one same form? How do you navigate through forms, via command buttons? How do you store the total score?

can I make it a requirement for them to answer an option group before moving on to other questions?

Disable all the controls after your option group and enable them after they've answered the option group, post more if you need help on how to perform the above

Is it possible to not save any incomplete surveys? Say I have 50 questions and someone starts the survey but only answers 10 questions and then exits for whatever reason. I would like that record to be deleted so it does not count. If I allow incomplete surveys then I can get skewed numbers.

Only save record when the user hit the Finish button
Hope that helps.

biggcc

Registered User.
Local time
Required Option Answer

I have my questions divided up on tabs dependent upon what they are referrencing - General Info - Workplace - Job Specific - etc. In order to control the survey answers a little I want to make "Office" which is on the first tab a required option to answer before moving on. This will at least give me some form of reference for determining the number of employees that have completed a survey. What you have discribed sounds like what I need but I don't know how to do it. I've tried finding a way to make it work but have been unsuccessful. Can you provide some instruction on both items you sent.

One question - Is using the tabs screwing this up? To me it seemed like the most logical way of organizing things.

Thanks,
Chester Campbell

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
See attached

Attached is a simple nifty sample created just for you.

Hope it'll help you out. Remember, it's just a sample.

Attachments

• Temp2.zip
    15.1 KB · Views: 129

biggcc

Registered User.
Local time
Option group question

Thanks supercharge - I'm trying to get my brain around this but I'm still having some trouble. I've attached a screen shot of my survey so you can see what I'm doing. If you look you'll see the "Office" option group. I want the remainder of the questionaire to hinge off if it so do I have to put that afterupdate statement on the all of my questions (which all are option groups) or can I use the afterupdate to control the activation of my tabs?

Also I want to put the Finish/Exit button down in the lower portion of the screen and not on a tab. Is that possible and will have I have to make it active on the last option group or all option groups?

I know this is probably simple stuff for you but I'm having some trouble getting it so thanks for putting up with me.

Thanks again,
Chester Campbell

Attachments

• 1stscreen.JPG
    1stscreen.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 116

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Sorry for the late response, we had three-day weekend.

Nice layout -

I want the remainder of the questionaire to hinge off if it so do I have to put that afterupdate statement on the all of my questions (which all are option groups) or can I use the afterupdate to control the activation of my tabs?
What you need to do is to disable all option groups including all others on other tabs except the Office one. It's more code-efficient to disable a tab instead of controls on it 'cause disabling a tab automatically disables everything on it. So the answers to your question is that you only need one AfterUpdate statement for the Office group and one for the last option group to enable the Save Record button

Also I want to put the Finish/Exit button down in the lower portion of the screen and not on a tab. Is that possible and will have I have to make it active on the last option group or all option groups?
You're on the right track, don't put the button on a tab.

If you still need more help, try sending me a sample of your project (of course, in Access) with what you'd like to be done and I'll see what I can help

Hope that helps.

biggcc

Registered User.
Local time
Close form without saving if incomplete

Supercharge - First off Thanks for all your help. I have everything just about set. One final question - Is it possible to setup a command close button that will not save the record unless certain criteria are met. In other words how do I setup a "Close" button that will delete a record if specified questions are not answered? Someone starts the survey and then has to leave for a meeting - They select the only enabled command button "Close Form" available and then exit the survey. Right now the survey will keep a record of what they have entered even if it not complete. I need to change that so it deletes any record that does not have certain criteria met.

I know I'm rambling here but I'm just trying to clarify what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
Chester Campbell

supercharge

Registered User.
Local time
Wow, haven't been in here for several days.

If you use my previously attached sample, you won't have any problem adding a Close button just to close the form without saving any data. Just a simple DoCmd.Quit will exit Access. The form I have on there is unbound to any table so it won't save anything until you click on the button.

If a form is bound to a table, when exited, the record will be saved automatically. I think that's your situation. So, yes, it is possible for a command button to run checks before executing its command.

biggcc said:
...Right now the survey will keep a record of what they have entered even if it not complete. I need to change that so it deletes any record that does not have certain criteria met.
Apparently you're not using the method I had in the sample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom