Row grows too much (1 Viewer)

Romio_1968

Local time
Today, 12:37
I have a report with the fields CanGrow property set to yes. The row heigth i set to 0. It dynamically expands vertically to accommodate larger text values, yet the expansion is too large. It doesnt fit the text.
Any ideea why and how can I fix this?

Thank you.
1684780599453.png

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 05:37
Is it possible that the query is truncating your values. Looks to me like that may be happening at 255 characters.

Romio_1968

Local time
Is it possible that the query is truncating your values. Looks to me like that may be happening at 255 characters.
No.
Just checked. I have some records with more then 500 characters and they are displayed corectly. Yet, the cell does not wrap properly

MajP

Local time
In your image where is the problem? I assume it is Column 8, Row 2. Make sure every control in the section is set to can grow and make sure the section is set to can grow.

If you have controls that cannot grow (example image control) in that row you are limited to that controls height.

Romio_1968

Local time
In your image where is the problem? I assume it is Column 8, Row 2. Make sure every control in the section is set to can grow and make sure the section is set to can grow.

If you have controls that cannot grow (example image control) in that row you are limited to that controls height.
Checked all controls in the row. All are set to heigth 0, and CanGrow = Yes

MajP

Local time
Easy test to rule out truncation. Find a column where you think it is not growing enough. Copy and paste into word. Count the characters. If it is 255 then it is a truncation issue. That is possible even if the underlying query does not truncate. For example a calculated control that applies formatting.

Romio_1968

Local time
Easy test to rule out truncation. Find a column where you think it is not growing enough. Copy and paste into word. Count the characters. If it is 255 then it is a truncation issue. That is possible even if the underlying query does not truncate. For example a calculated control that applies formatting.
I did that, as I told you before. I have rows with more then 500 characters, so there is no truncation.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:37
When this sort of things happens, there is usually something blocking the growth below it OR something on the same row that has a limit to growth. "Can Expand" is always implicitly "...until you can't expand any more." Not that I can see what it would be, but that is the most common reason.

Romio_1968

Local time
When this sort of things happens, there is usually something blocking the growth below it OR something on the same row that has a limit to growth. "Can Expand" is always implicitly "...until you can't expand any more." Not that I can see what it would be, but that is the most common reason.
The issue is that the growing is not limited, but exaggerated.

MajP

Local time
Sorry I misread. I get it now. There are rows that are too big. The third row has empty space.
So is Can Shrink also set to yes?

Romio_1968

Local time
Sorry I misread. I get it now. There are rows that are too big. The third row has empty space.
So is Can Shrink also set to yes?
Yes it is. I tried both Yes and No to CanShrink.

GPGeorge

George Hepworth
Local time
Today, 02:37
I would start by ensuring that there are no non-printable characters in the values where the row is growing beyond where you expect it to grow.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Also, make sure that BOTH the section and the controls that change size are set to yes for both can grow and can shrink.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:37
Good point, Pat... the section may have to grow or shrink as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom