Run Reports Full Screen (Not Maximized) (1 Viewer)

Trek-Fan

Local time
Today, 05:50
First off, I would like to say thanks again on a previous post, It got me going in the right direction, and got me to this point of near completion.

I am at the final step, and need just a touch of help:

This database has a form for project managers to input their requirements, and a couple of reports. The form "Projects" is the form to input requirements, and the other form "Launch" launches a slide show. The intended purpose is to be a status board that cycles through (4) reports. The reports look correct, data is moving correctly, but I would like for this open full screen (not maximaized). In a perfect world, the standalone machine is using a flat panel tv as a display, would have nothing but the report showing, no ribbon, taskbar, etc. I did some searching and found the following on a forum, but am not sure if I can incorporate it into my database. I have attached the database to see my code (please no remarks about the amateur looks of my database, I am very much a novice)

Here is a quote from a different forum (I have tried to incorporate this, but could not make it work)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
heh nice resurrect, best to open a new thread when you have a question.

That said, here's one way you can make it totally full screen (no windows task bar, no nuthin other than your app)

Form Properties:

Popup = Yes
Modal = Yes
Border = None
ControlBox = No
MinMax = Neither
Close = No

VBA Form_Open Procedure:

docmd.Maximize

At this point the program will "take over the world", the user will still be able to Alt-Tab around or hit the Windows key on the keyboard and bypass the program, but short of going to the task manager they will not be able to close it without using your close button. Since you are using touchscreen I'm assuming no keyboard is available to the user, so if they need to get out of the program for any legitimate reason, I would put a button on there that will minimize the app so they can access the desktop.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to say thanks in advance for any help I can get, and I really do appriciate any and all feedback (even if it is to tell me I suck so bad at Access, I should go buy a whiteboard!!)

Thank again,
Rob

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:50
yes that should do what you require. Not sure why you think you're not sure you can incorporate, it is pretty straught forward

Set your for or report properties to these values - I would also add in set scrollbars to none and probably navigation bar and recordselectors to no as well
Form Properties:

Popup = Yes
Modal = Yes
Border = None
ControlBox = No
MinMax = Neither
Close = No

and in your form or report open event put

docmd.Maximize

popup and modal means your form will be 'on top'
border = none means you won't get the window bar across the top of the window - note ensure you include a form close button on the form or report itself
minmax and close don't really matter since the border is set to none

This link will explain further

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/a...for-pop-up-forms-and-reports-HP005188538.aspx

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 08:50
No database attaached... the only thing I would say is set the Control Box to Yes and the Close button to Yes unless you really don't want them to close the Report.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
I would have thought that Trek-Fan would consider using the right tool for this, i.e. Powerpoint. Slideshows is what it's made for.

Trek-Fan

Local time
@ CJ - I tried putting those lines into the code, with no success, I was getting script errors. I will take another look when I get to work tomorrow morning.

@ Gina - my apologies, I thought I had attached the database, When I get to work, I will post a message and attache it.

@Vba - Absolutely Power Point was my first desire (see this post : access-programmers.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=267322 I had to pull out the www so it would not think it is a link) But after doing some reaseach, I could not find out how to do it with out having to do a intermediary with Excel. The project I was given was to make a real time updating status board, that the project managers could get into and put down need dates for the various departments in the factory. I saw no way to automate that with power point. I would REALLY like to, since that is a very nice option running in kiosk mode. I have the database working now, and it cycles through (4) reports with (15) secs between reports. So it is constantly updating. As of right now it is running on just a single stand alone machine in my office for tweaking. But in a couple of months, it will be deployed on (4) pc's in the server room. From there they each go into a vga to composite video converter, then a composite booster / splitter and run out to various offices. Each of the (4) machines will be split off on the video and feeding (11) monitors throughout the office and plant (total of 44 monitors ). So with all that said, if it can be integrated into a real time automatic power point nexus, I would be thrilled, I just didn't think that was an option so I went this route.

I do appriciate the feedback! Thanks for the replies.

Thanks again,
Rob

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I tried putting those lines into the code, with no success, I was getting script errors
Lines? there is only one line. The 'lines' are form properties, not code

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
But after doing some reaseach, I could not find out how to do it with out having to do a intermediary with Excel.

I have the database working now, and it cycles through (4) reports with (15) secs between reports. So it is constantly updating.
I'm sure you don't need Excel as an intermediary. The reason why they would have advised going through Excel is just for the formatting (i.e. copying and pasted formatted data from Excel to PP). You can still connect to Access using DAO and keep a live connection (with the approprite switches set, i.e. dbSeeChanges), and build your slide from the recordset. Of course this is more involving which also means you will need to understand the PP Object model.

I suppose since it's a summary page it won't ever go over one page so having separate reports will work. But if it does spill to another page then you'll need to reconsider your design.

CJ has got you on the right path with Access anyway, and you could consider changing the orientation of your report to landscape since most screens are wide.

vbaInet

AWF VIP
Local time
Forgot to add that, if this is going to show live information, then you're best switching to Report View rather than re-opening the report.

Trek-Fan

Local time
@ CJ - Yes, I have to admit it, I did try putting those into the module, and it was crashing (Again, I am a novice at this) Edit *** I did go back and found those options in the form properties. I think I have set it all right now **

I am attaching the database I have built.

@ VBA - I really did want to go power point, but I did spend a good bit of time googling to see, and realized it was beyond my abilities. (I still use a #2 pencil, so I am a bit behind the times I guess)

Thanks everyone again everybody for the replies and feedback.

Thanks Again,
Rob

Attachments

• Final.zip
    487.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I've taken a look at your reporting - it is a neat concept but I suggest the following:

1. in the report properties set the scrollbars to neither (no one is going to be scrolling)

2. in some reports you have all possible report sections displayed with nothing in them - so hide them. e.g. Report.Burn Past Due subreport or Report.Big Lathe Past Due subreport only need the detail section

3. you have used reports but you could just as easily have used a form given what you are are using them for

4. You need some means of closing the report.

5. something to consider for the future - you could actually do this with just two reports instead of the 68 odd you have at the moment which would make maintenance much simpler. Ask me how if you are interested:D

Trek-Fan

Local time
Adding a close feature would work, but the intent is that this would never close and run on standalone pc's in and endless loop as status boards thru the facility. I am going to use a video splitter / booster to each of the reports shared on (11) separate displays. I have ordered (44) 22" monitors to mount throughout the office and plant to achieve this. The project managers will be accessing the database multi user, (after I split it, with record level locking) to update data and have it change in real time on the displays.

@ CJ Please, I would really like to hear about ways to improve or make it better, I cannot over state how much of a novice I am at this (Mechanical Engineer by trade, but owner believes I know all things computer). I am hoping that the concept here could make for a "poor man's" status board for others to use as well. That is why I am posting all my work for others to share and use (if they want to). As VBA said in a earlier post, Power Point would be very slick to use in a "Kiosk" mode to accomplish this, but the interface was beyond my abilities, so I had to go down the "all-in-one" application approach.

Thanks in advance, and I would really appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks,
Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom