Scan barcode to a table (2 Viewers)

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 01:11
Hi All,
I'm trying to scan a barcode to a table but all the information is just going into one field. I don't know how to tell the scanner to move from one field to the next and put the information in the way i want it. There was no software with the scanning device...it's just a plug and play. The dock is plugged directly into my PC via USB. The scanner i'm using is below. Just wondering if anyone has tried something like this before who might be able to help ?
Thanks, Em

http://www.heaveytechnology.com/pro.../ultra-rugged/ds3608-sr-ds3678-sr-detail.html

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:11
Surely you mean move to a new record for each scan.
There should be a manual with the scanner with the codes to do that.
Suggest you contact the manufacturer for support

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks for the help guys. I read through the manual and there's nothing which really helps me. I've contacted their support line so hopefully they can come up with something.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
There is normally a set up sheet, that lets you use special barcodes to set up the more basic features, if you don't have that you may be able to download it?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Hi All,

I'm trying to scan a barcode to a table but all the information is just going into one field.

The default setup of a barcode scanner is normally to send the scanned number as keystrokes representing the characters scanned. The last character sent should be the enter key command.

If the scan is not moving to the next field as you would expect, check your tab order. You can do this manually, just enter a barcode, then press Enter and see if the cursor shifts to the next field.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
For clarity, when I say enter a barcode, I mean type it in through the keyboard, then type the enter key...

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Emma35,

Two things I would try, first in access >file>options>client setting then move to next field. Or if this is 2D you may have to move to the next record as Colin mentioned.

Second, this looks like its part of the Zebra family or a clone. check out the link below for setting up carriage returns or enter key.

https://www.zebra.com/content/dam/zebra_new_ia/en-us/manuals/barcode-scanners/ds3608-qsg-en.pdf

HTH

Attachments

• Options.PNG
    Options.PNG
    30.1 KB · Views: 402
  • Zebra.jpg
    Zebra.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 508

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I've heard back from the manufacturer and he said they will charge me to provide this service ?. I checked the Tab order and it's fine.
AccessBlaster...i checked the options and they're as they should be.
Minty....i do have a sheet with those barcodes but i haven't a clue how it works or how it would help me
The barcode i'm scanning has three pieces of information contained within it.
1. Manufacturers Code
2. Batch Number
3. Product ID

I need each of those 3 items to go to a different field but they're all being entered into the same field in one big long numeral.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Ok , so how are those 3 pieces of information being presented to you, if you scan them to one big text string ?

Is there an obvious separator ? If there is then this becomes quite simple.

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Yes there are numbers in brackets before each piece of information. Below is the scanned numeral which appears in the first field

151709061003-9190240481971

I've attached a pic of the barcode

Thanks

Attachments

• Barcode.PNG
    Barcode.PNG
    40.3 KB · Views: 148

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Hmm unfortunately the scanned information isn't containing the brackets (that would have been too simple!), are the numbers fixed length ?

Dreamweaver

Local time
You can use before or after update once the scan is done that way you can play with the string pulling what you want out and adding to other fields

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
@MickJav - That's what I was heading towards, but it won't work if the scanned data can't be split out in a predictable way, hence asking if it is fixed length.

Dreamweaver

Local time
I would contact the people who created the barcode I.E. the item it's attached to to get details.

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
No unfortunately they're not fixed length

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Are any of the elements fixed ?
If the first and last ones were, you could work out the remainder, if not I'm not sure how easy it would be to extract the data.

If the various numbers are unique you could do a complicated matching character loop in VBA but if the numbering schemes aren't set up correctly this would fail.

Dreamweaver

Local time
do the represent a value in a list somewhere like country Etc

Dreamweaver

Local time
The other thing I would check is are the values in the brackets always the same for your user check other items with this barcode

Emma35

Registered User.
Local time
Ok i'll have to contact somebody to find out the answers to your queries....thanks again. I'll be back on as soon as i know something

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom