Search for folders on a drive then open that folder if it is found. (1 Viewer)

Johnta

Local time
Today, 14:16
Is it possible to create a file system that could search for a record using wild card characters then open the file if it is found. For example my DB form is something in the effect of http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html I want the user to be able to click on one of the records shown then I want my application to search a predetermined drive, say the I drive, and if the ID is found, say the name of the Folder is cutomer1 so I guess it would have to have some kind of wild card expression, then I want it to open that folder and display the results to the user. Is this possible? There may not be a folder for every customer, and the naming conventions used for the folder may be different so it would have to be a wild card. Of course My Id field is a little more specific so im not so worried about it finding multiple folders that share common numbers.

ezfriend

Registered User.
Local time
Are you looking for a directory searching? or just checking to see if a file/folder exists?

If you are looking for a directory searching, I do have code that can loop through directories/files. If just check for file/folder existance, use the DIR$ function.

Johnta

Local time
I want to check and see if the file/folder exist, and if it does I want VB to open the folder and display the contents to the user. For example the user would click ID number 1122, then the application would search the I drive for folder 1122, then if a folder contains 1122 in the file name the program opens the folder and displays the results to the user.

Johnta

Local time
Private Sub Text30_Click()
Dim sUserFile As String
sUserFile = Dir$("L:\Test Results\TR'S\TR" & Text30.Text, vbDirectory)

On Error GoTo err
Dim bb
bb = Shell("Explorer.exe L:\Test Results\TR'S\" & sUserFile, 1)
Exit Sub
err:
MsgBox err.Description

End Sub

This is my code so far. I cant get it to search in subdirectories and I would be albe to leave out the TR if I could get some kind of wild card expression after TR's. like L:\Test Results\TR'S\*.text30 but that expression wont work. I Havent used VB for years and even then I didnt have to much experience somebody help plz.

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 22:16
unfortunately dir function is not recursive, and wont search subdirectories.

you have to store your own folder tree, and feed it in to dir, to do this - or find another way completely.

Johnta

Local time
Creating my own folder tree would be a massive amount of data. Ive seen recusive ways to view files but what about just folders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom