Secure Enough? (1 Viewer)

Haroundb

Local time
Today, 15:15
Now after 10 years of "only Access" programming and by far extensive code writing, I got stuck with a question which really put me down.

Is my code secure? Database as general is secure enough?

Please give me all you have about this because the question is not only "Is access is secure enough" rather than how "venerable" MS Access is? I am using MS Access with MS SQL Server.

I am really confused. After all my knowledge about Access I discover that it is very easy to penetrate. So what about mde? can someone access the file in binary mode and extract the data.

Any help is appreciated.

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:15
Depends on how secure you think it is. ANY program regardless of platform is hackable given enough time. MS Access is no different, there are plenty of utilities on the internet for decompiling Access databases to retrieve code and data. So is your code secure just because it is an MDE...the answer sadly is no. However keep in mind that even if you were to write a program in native Win32 code an adept hacker with knowledge of how to decompile binary images could reverse engineer your code. No platform is 100% secure, but you have to look at your target user base and judge whether given the security measures you have in place will they likely be able to break in and get access to things you don't want them to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haroundb

Local time
Today, 15:15
Thanks everyone for the input but I was aiming primarily on the Code section. I need to know how difficult/easy it is to penetrate VBA specially in Access.

Secondly I would like to know mde as a file how secure it is ?

JANR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:15
Like they stated they can always revers an MDE, but you can protect your compiled mde so it isen't productive to deciphre your code, to much of a hassel.

JR

DJkarl

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:15
Thanks JANR for the link but I don't want to reverse engineer an mde, rather I need to know how to make a mde unreleasable.

Thanks.

I think the point JANR and I were trying to make is that there is nothing you can do to absolutely protect your code, either in a password protected VBA project, or in a compiled MDE, or even a compiled EXE for that matter.

FYI any hard coded strings in your VBA code projects can be read simply by opening the DB in a hex or text editor.

This really come back to your user base, if you are trying to secure your product for commericial release then best of luck to you, Microsoft spends billions on trying to make Windows theft proof and secure and within the first week of a release someone will have hacked it.

Your question of is your code safe because you made your DB into an MDE, the answer is no. Is it safe from your average end-user, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom