Security Warning (1 Viewer)

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:33
New problem that I would like help with if you have time.

I have developed a split db app that us signed and packaged, and the installer is also signed using certificates from Digicert that seem to be working fine. Everything was working fine until I decompiled and recompiled the database to make it smaller this morning, and also set the AllowBypassKey property to false (hitherto the backend could be opened in design mode with the shift key). Now, though, when I extract the app, it displays a MS Access Security Warning Message Box asking the user to trust the content. It's not a one time message either; it shows up everytime the database is opened. This does not happen on my development computer, only on my runtime computer. So I am wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue and how to get past it. I would have thought there would be an option for the user to trust the content once and move on. Very frustrating.

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:33
Does your runtime machine have trusted locations set?

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
That's the crux of it, as I found out in researching. I thought I would post some info. Runtime doesn't allow you to trust content like full blown access does, so you have to mark the folder as a trusted access location. Unfortunately, with Access Runtime, this is complicated. Best way to do it is in the installation process, which I am having coded tomorrow. For now, I went ahead and borrowed some thinking from the link below. The caveat with this code is that it doesn't apply to windows 8 - not that there are a lot of access users running an OS designed for a tablet, but still

http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/index.php/AddTrustedLocation

Another solution is to park your installs in a default trusted location. I don't prefer that solution because it could get messy with uninstalls, etc.

Thanks for the reply by the way

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:33
Ah, hadn't appreciated the meaning of runtime computer:eek:
not that there are a lot of access users running an OS designed for a tablet
That is good to know but I think that will change. One of my clients is already accepting laptops (and tablets) with W8. Fortunately they have Office Professional so runtime is not an issue. But I can see some of my smaller clients who currently have a runtime version upgrading to W8 over the next couple of years - but would appear only a problem if I move from A2010 to A2013. At least I can anticipate and start looking for a resolution now.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
My install writer says he can trust the folders with one line of code in NSIS.

andrrivalle

Registered User.
Local time
What are the meaning of runtime computer?I am not clear about the trminolgy.Any suggestion about it will be welcome.

demicay2669

Registered User.
Local time
Microsoft offers free runtime versions of Microsoft Access: Access 2013 Runtime, Access 2010 Runtime, Access 2007 Runtime, which allow users to run an Access desktop application without needing to purchase or install a full version of Microsoft Access. This allows Access developers to create databases that can be freely distributed to an unlimited number of end-users. The runtime version allows users to view, edit and delete data, along with running queries, forms, reports, macros and VBA module code. But the runtime version does not allow users to change the design of Microsoft Access objects or code. The runtime versions are similar to their corresponding full version of Access and usually compatible with earlier versions; for example Access Runtime 2010 allows a user to run an Access application made with the 2010 version as well as 2007 through 2000. Due to deprecated features in Access 2013, its runtime version is also unable to support those older features.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
If you are unfamiliar with "runtime" you might want to familiarize yourself with it. When I wrote "runtime computer" I was referring to the computer I use for regression testing which has access runtime, but not full access. I found some items to be fixed in runtime that I did not notice in the full version of access.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 19:33
I believe the Macro Security settings are too high.

This is normally set in the options for each machine.

I have not used Runtime since Access 97 so I am unsure. However I think this option can be set when creating the actual runtime for installation.

This is really old memory for me. I hope I have not put you on the wrong track.

EDIT

Clarify some wording.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
Rain,

It is due to trust center settings. You can trust a location in access on your own computer, but not someone else's computer. So the installer must address the trust setting on the other person's computer to prevent the content warning. Even if you have a code certificate. I have learned that the security warning won't show up if you place your files in an access subdirectory. I didn't want to place files there because users may not know how to find them.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Today, 19:33
Rain,

It is due to trust center settings. You can trust a location in access on your own computer, but not someone else's computer..............

Sorry I can't help.

Wish you well with the project.

Acme

Registered User.
Local time
the issue was resolved. no help required. Thanks anyway for reading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom