Select Case "Priorities"!? (1 Viewer)

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:11
Good Sunday to every one,

I have a query that calculated the working hours and assigns a multiplier according the day (Sunday/Public Holiday), overtime etc..
in one of the fields I have an expression with a select case statement:

PayHours: Switch(((Weekday([EventDate])=1) And ([TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL])),([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*2,Weekday([EventDate])=1,[TotalTime]*2,([EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date]) And (Weekday([EventDate])=1),[TotalTime]*2,[EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date],[TotalTime]*3,([EventDes]="Time in lieu consumed" And ([TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL])),([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*1,[EventDes]="Time in lieu consumed",[TotalTime]*1,[TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL],([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*1.5,[TotalTime]<[MaxOfVL],[TotalTime]*1.5)

my issue is, I want that if an event happens on a Sunday that also happens to be a public holiday (the part in bold) thus it condition but no matter how I tried to play with this expression it is always the Public holiday case that gets priority (the one underline):banghead::banghead:

any suggestions please?

thanks

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 04:11
what is your Regional setting?
is sunday the firstday of your week?

maybe:

([EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date]) And (Weekday([EventDate], 1)=1),[TotalTime]*2

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, thanks for your reply!
the region is OK because on any other Sunday it works, what i really want is that it sops evaluating the other case statements once it finds a the first correct statement. I also tried a nested IIf statement but with no success.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 21:11
Use a Case statement in a UDF?

Key is
Code:
EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date]

where do you get [tblPublicHolidays].[Date] from?
Inspect all values.

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, I get the data from a table listing the public holidays in my country. it does work since when it happens a public holiday it evaluates the correct case statement. my problem is that when a public holiday occurs on a Sunday, I need the select case function to evaluate the Sunday case and not the Public Holiday.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi, thanks for your reply!
the region is OK because on any other Sunday it works, what i really want is that it sops evaluating the other case statements once it finds a the first correct statement. I also tried a nested IIf statement but with no success.

As you say it stops on the first correct statement.
So change the order in order to make Access prioritise the way you want it to.

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
that what I've done but it is not stopping on the first correct statement, that's my problem.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
It will do if your code is correct.
However its difficult to follow your code with no context

arnelgp

Local time
reverse the logic and add more test:

[EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date] And (Weekday([EventDate])<>1,[TotalTime]*3,

Last edited:

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
OK my apologies I am talking on a select case statement while in reality I've used the switch statement, I hope that it follows the same rules of the select case.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
However you do it, you must get the order correct.
If you want a public holiday on a Sunday to be treated as a Sunday, put that condition before testing for holidays.
Or vice versa if you want the opposite.

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
Good morning

this is the order of the switch function, as you can see the first three steps evaluate for Sundays, while the fourth step is for Public holidays. but when ever there is a public holiday this is taking priority no matter the first three options??
Switch(((
1. Weekday([EventDate])=1) And ([TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL])),([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*2,
2. Weekday([EventDate])=1,[TotalTime]*2,
3. ([EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date]) And (Weekday([EventDate])=1),[TotalTime]*2,
4. [EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date],[TotalTime]*3,
5. ([EventDes]="Time in lieu consumed" And ([TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL])),([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*1,
6. [EventDes]="Time in lieu consumed",[TotalTime]*1,
7. [TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL],([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*1.5,
8. [TotalTime]<[MaxOfVL],[TotalTime]*1.5)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
I'm not sure how this helps but your 3rd check is redundant as it will never be reached if it's a Sunday due to rule 2.

EDIT : You could add AND Weekday([EventDate])<>1 to force it to check it's NOT as Sunday but it shouldn't ever get that far.

Last edited:

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
Hi, yes in fact I added the third check later to try to solve this issue and when I've changed to AND Weekday([EventDate])<>1 it stopped to that check (I mean the third check and evaluated its multiplier but it seam that it is not recognizing that it is a Sunday while on any another Sunday it works!???

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Does your EventDate contain a time element? That would cause it not to match your Holiday.date ?

Also just in case - Date is a reserved word and a poor choice for your Holiday table field name, change it to HolDate or similar, it could well be causing a problem.

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
This is the whole SQL of this query if it can help

SELECT tblStaffInfo.StaffID, tblStaffInfo.LastName, tblStaffInfo.FirstName, qryEvents.EventDate, tblEventDes.EventDes, qryEvents.StartTime, qryEvents.EndTime, ([EndTime]-[StartTime]+([EndTime]<[StartTime]))*24 AS TotalTime,
Switch(((Weekday([EventDate])=1) And ([TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL])),([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*2,Weekday([EventDate])=1,[TotalTime]*2,[EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date],[TotalTime]*3,([EventDes]="Time in lieu consumed" And ([TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL])),([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*1,[EventDes]="Time in lieu consumed",[TotalTime]*1,[TotalTime]>[MaxOfVL],([TotalTime]-[BreakD])*1.5,[TotalTime]<[MaxOfVL],[TotalTime]*1.5) AS PayHours, qryEvents.Verified, qryEvents.Comments, Min(qryStaffRosterChange.RosterCode) AS Roster, Max(qryStaffRosterChange.VL) AS MaxOfVL, tblPublicHolidays.Date, tblEventDes.EventAbr
FROM (((tblStaffInfo INNER JOIN qryEvents ON tblStaffInfo.StaffID = qryEvents.StaffID) INNER JOIN qryStaffRosterChange ON (tblStaffInfo.StaffID = qryStaffRosterChange.StaffID) AND (qryEvents.YDate = qryStaffRosterChange.YDate)) LEFT JOIN tblEventDes ON qryEvents.EventDesID = tblEventDes.EventDesID) LEFT JOIN tblPublicHolidays ON qryEvents.EventDate = tblPublicHolidays.Date
WHERE (((qryEvents.EventDate)>=[YearOfChange]))
GROUP BY tblStaffInfo.StaffID, tblStaffInfo.LastName, tblStaffInfo.FirstName, qryEvents.EventDate, tblEventDes.EventDes, qryEvents.StartTime, qryEvents.EndTime, ([EndTime]-[StartTime]+([EndTime]<[StartTime]))*24, qryEvents.Verified, qryEvents.Comments, tblPublicHolidays.Date, tblEventDes.EventAbr, qryEvents.EventDesID, qryStaffRosterChange.BreakD, tblPublicHolidays.Date
HAVING (((qryEvents.EventDesID) In (6,7,11)))
ORDER BY tblStaffInfo.LastName, tblStaffInfo.FirstName, qryEvents.EventDate;

Shoutaro

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Minty,
yes the EventDate contains date/time data type and for public holiday I have a table listing my country public holidays that the query checks it. what I cannot understand is why the check for public holiday is getting the priority.

arnelgp

Local time
you may need to analyze this:

sunday = 1 (weekday)

1. you may have sunday (not holiday) on your query
weekday([eventdate]) = 1 and nz([tblPublicHolidays].[Date], 1) = 1

2. you may have holiday (not sunday) on your query
weekday([eventdate]) <> 1 and nz([tblPublicHolidays].[Date], 1) <> 1

3. you may have holiday at same time sunday on your query.
weekday([eventdate]) = 1 and nz([tblPublicHolidays].[Date], 1) <> 1

im using NZ since on your query you use Left join and there
might not be a date (Null) on tblPublicHolidays.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The only obvious reason is that for some reason WeekDay(eventdate) isn't evaluating to 1

Debugging: Build a simple query with your event date and left joined to your holiday table and add a couple of calculated fields something like;
Code:
MyWeekDay : Weekday([EventDate])
Holiday : IIf ([EventDate]=[tblPublicHolidays].[Date], "They Match", "NoMatch")
And see if that is actually giving you what you expect to see.

Edit - I meant does your event date always = 10/01/2019 00:00 or is there a time element 10/01/2019 21:23:03 ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom