Solved Select the second tab from the left

Local time
Today, 10:51
Like the title says ...

My database has a switchboard and 7 main forms - I'll call them Form1, Form2 ... Form7.

There is a button on the switchboard that brings up a pop-up with checkboxes that let's you select multiple forms to open.

So, if I select Forms 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7, I end up with (left to right), the switchboard, Form2, Form 3, Form 5, Form 6, and Form 7 with Form 7 Selected.

I would like Form 2 selected (the first form loaded after the switchboard).

If there a way to do this with code?

If not, I can check if Form1 is loaded, and if so, Open Form1, else if Form2 is loaded, open Form2 etc., which should give the same end result.

Thanks in advance!

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
If not, I can check if Form1 is loaded, and if so, Open Form1, else if Form2 is loaded, open Form2

Code:
Public Function IsLoaded(FormName As String) As Boolean
 IsLoaded = CurrentProject.AllForms(FormName).IsLoaded
End Function
Public Sub Test()
  Debug.Print IsLoaded("frmMain")
End Sub

Local time
Didn't word that clearly. I know how to check if the form is loaded. I don't know how (or if it is possible programmatically) to select the form on the second tab, other than looping through the forms (which with only 7 forms isn't a huge deal.)

MajP

Local time
You know the first form you opened. In this case it "form2". So simply set the focus
forms(variableholdingfirstformsname).setfocus

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:51
Didn't word that clearly. I know how to check if the form is loaded. I don't know how (or if it is possible programmatically) to select the form on the second tab, other than looping through the forms (which with only 7 forms isn't a huge deal.)
Perhaps a screenshot could help clarify the request?

Local time
You know the first form you opened. In this case it "form2". So simply set the focus
forms(variableholdingfirstformsname).setfocus
Brilliant and much simpler than how I was planning to do it!!!

MajP

Local time
When forms are opened they are added to the forms collection in order. They are indexed starting at 0. If your switchboard is open first it is Forms(0). The next form opened is Forms(1).
In your case this should work.
if Forms.count > 1 then Forms(1).setfocus

Note
If a form contains controls for which the Enabled property is set to True, you can't move the focus to the form itself. You can only move the focus to controls on the form. In this case, if you try to use SetFocus to move the focus to a form, the focus is set to the control on the form that last received the focus.

Local time
if Forms.count > 1 then Forms(1).setfocus
Doesn't seem to work for me - that returns me to the Switchboard.
But
Code:
If Forms.Count > 2 Then Forms(2).SetFocus
does work.

Are you SURE the index starts at zero? (You would know better than I would ...)

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:51
Are you SURE the index starts at zero? (You would know better than I would ...)
Should be easy enough to verify. I would think you would get an error with this, if using a zero is invalid:
Code:
If Forms.Count > 2 Then Forms(0).SetFocus

Local time
Disregard - we are both correct. I forgot there was a hidden form that loads at startup. I had 8 forms visible and "MsgBox Forms.Count" returned 9 - so the count starts at 1 but the index starts at 0. Forms(0).SetFocus opened the hidden form.

It works!!!!

MajP

Local time
This may be more foolproof. You want to set focus on the Nth visible form. So loop the forms collection and determine the index of the Nth visible form
This would work even if you have multiple forms hidden (not common)
Code:
Public Sub SelectVisibleForm(FormNumber)
  'This procedure is One based. i.e. The second visible form opened   is then FormNumber 2.
  Dim visibleCount As Integer
  Dim i As Integer
  For i = 0 To Forms.Count - 1
    If Forms(i).Visible Then visibleCount = visibleCount + 1
    If visibleCount = FormNumber Then
      Forms(i).SetFocus
       Exit Sub
    End If
  Next i
End Sub

Last edited:
Local time
Very nice code and I appreciate the effort, but I like the single-line code you posted earlier. And it's not THAT critical. If we have to click a different tab to get to the desired form once in a blue moon, I can live with that.

Local time
Semi-related question ...

At startup, my database opens a hidden form and then the switchboard. It uses tabbed windows. From the switchboard, users can open any combination of 7 additional forms. If the switchboard is closed, the timer event of the hidden form re-opens it.

However, it opens it after the last visible form. I can manually drag it to the left.

Is it possible to do this via VBA?

i.e. can I either (re-)open the switchboard as the first visible tab, or open it and move it to the far left using VBA?

I don't want to go the brute force approach of checking all the forms that could be open and closing and re-opening them, although I'm pretty sure that would work. (It's less hassle to move it manually in that case.)

Thanks in advance!

MajP

Local time
This seems to work well to set your form order. Hide not close. Hide all of them and add the visible forms to a custom collection. Add your switchboard at the beginning of the collection. Show then in order as stored in the collection. Should not be any flicker or cause onload events to fire.
Code:
Public Sub SetOrder(FirstFormName As String)
  Dim frm As Access.Form
  Dim myForms As New Collection
  For Each frm In Forms

If frm.Name = FirstFormName Then
      If myForms.Count > 0 Then
        myForms.Add frm, frm.Name, 1
      Else
        myForms.Add frm, frm.Name
      End If
    ElseIf frm.Visible = True Then
      myForms.Add frm, frm.Name
    End If
    frm.Visible = False
  Next frm

For Each frm In myForms
    frm.Visible = True
  Next frm

End Sub

Public Sub Testit()
  SetOrder "Switchboard"
End Sub

MajP

Local time
FYI. The design is up to you, but it is much more common now a days use pop up forms vice tab forms with only one form open at a time. Better control of the logic, and you can make it look more like a real application. If there is a reason to have multiple forms visible then you may consider an unbound main form with a tab control holding subforms.

Local time
@MajP - Code in Reply #15 works great and is exactly what I was looking for.

Tabbed forms work for us and how we use the database. I have seen other databases that don't use this method and that work well also.

Thanks again!!!

Local time
@MajP Ran into an odd error with your code (Reply #15).

The code works fine if I run it standalone.

I am trying to run it from a timer on a hidden form that re-opens the switchboard if it is manually closed.

In that case, it does not move the form to the left, although it does open the form - probably because the form has not finished opening yet. Also, I don't get any error messages, but the timer is not running after this occurs.

The relevant portion of the timer code looks like this:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Timer()
   On Error GoTo Err_Handler
'https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/multiple-events-at-different-times-from-one-timer.328630/
Me.TimerInterval = 1000 ' 1-second
Static TimerCounter As Long
TimerCounter = TimerCounter + 1 ' or at the end of proc if all should run on first call (TimerCounter == 0)
   If TimerCounter Mod 1 = 0 Then 'Check every second.
'     Debug.Print "Proc 0", timer, Now()
        If SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acForm, "frmSwitchboard") = 0 Then
           DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSwitchboard"
        '   DoUntil (SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acForm, "frmSwitchboard") <> 0)
        '        DoEvents
        '   Loop
           Call SetOrder("frmSwitchboard")
           Forms("frmSwitchboard").SetFocus
        End If
   End If

I tried adding the green steps to wait until the switchboard opened before running SetOrder, but with those line uncommented, I get an error "The Open Event was cancelled" on startup.

???

Local time
Somewhat surprised this does not work either:
Code:
Private Sub Form_Timer()
   On Error GoTo Err_Handler
'https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/multiple-events-at-different-times-from-one-timer.328630/
Me.TimerInterval = 10000 ' 10-seconds
Static TimerCounter As Long
TimerCounter = TimerCounter + 1 ' or at the end of proc if all should run on first call (TimerCounter == 0)
   If TimerCounter Mod 1 = 0 Then 'Check every 10 seconds.
'     Debug.Print "Proc 0", timer, Now()
        If SysCmd(acSysCmdGetObjectState, acForm, "frmSwitchboard") = 0 Then
           DoCmd.OpenForm "frmSwitchboard"
           Pause (5)
           Call SetOrder("frmSwitchboard")
           Forms("frmSwitchboard").SetFocus
        End If
   End If

More info - I tried commenting out the Call SetOrder and .SetFocus lines and the timer does not run again if I close and re-open the switchboard form. Not sure why. I put in a msgbox to fire when the timer runs (or at 10 seconds) and I see it until I close the switchboard. Then I close the switchboard and click OK on the msgbox and the switchboard opens, but the msgbox never appears again ???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom