Shared database over 2 sites (1 Viewer)

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:34
Hi, I was wondering if anyone might know if such a database would work over 2 sites. Specs are roughly as follows:

1) Database located on network in Harlow, Essex, that our Scotland site has access to.
1) No more than about 5 users on at any one time.
2) Main table will have 600 rows of data growing up to a few thousand, and 20 columns, just date, text and a couple of memo fields.
3) A few minor lookup tables.
4) Network speed - variable, sometimes very slow, can sometimes take the PCs up there several seconds to open file that is just a couple of MB. It is prone to the odd crash too.
5) Nothing complex, just several queries and forms etc.

I have only designed 1 database to date so far...from books and help from this site.

Does anyone know if this would work reliably over 2 sites? :)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:34
I think you will have problems, have you considered web pages as the front end with an MS SQL server to hold the data?

shadow9449

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:34
Hi, I was wondering if anyone might know if such a database would work over 2 sites. Specs are roughly as follows:

1) Database located on network in Harlow, Essex, that our Scotland site has access to.
1) No more than about 5 users on at any one time.
2) Main table will have 600 rows of data growing up to a few thousand, and 20 columns, just date, text and a couple of memo fields.
3) A few minor lookup tables.
4) Network speed - variable, sometimes very slow, can sometimes take the PCs up there several seconds to open file that is just a couple of MB. It is prone to the odd crash too.
5) Nothing complex, just several queries and forms etc.

I have only designed 1 database to date so far...from books and help from this site.

Does anyone know if this would work reliably over 2 sites? :)

I've had a lot of success with my applications being in many locations with as many as 30 people at the same time using Windows Remote desktop using a server with Windows Server 2003 with Terminal Server.

SHADOW

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom