SharePoint List- Data loss using bound Access Form (1 Viewer)

tmaccabe

Local time
Today, 00:40
My users are occasionally experiencing data loss in their bound forms linked to SharePoint Lists. Caching is enabled for v2010 and later. Advanced Client Settings are default and shared with no locking and with default encryption. Form Recordsets are Dynaset.

I'm guessing that our connection is the issue, that users are leaving the record, form, or database front-end before SharePoint can confirm or respond however it does. It's a mystery to me. I don't think it's related to two or more users editing the same record at the same time. They all tend to work on their own records.

I'm just looking for a strategy to make sure this doesn't happen. Do I need to slow my users down, putting a Save button on my forms and somehow confirming updates are complete before closing or changing records? Would testing Me.Dirty = false actually confirm that all/any unknown changes are fully complete (in SharePoint and not just the cache)? Me.Refresh? Grasping at straws.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 03:40
Using unbound forms with SharePoint is never a good idea. How are you getting the data to the SP list...append queries? If so, what event are you using to accomplish this?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I'm confused, is the form bound or unbound? What do you have in the Record Source property?

Sent from phone...

tmaccabe

Local time
Sorry guys, brain fart there on bound unbound. Talking bound forms.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
On the linked tables/lists, cached records will have a negative number in the ID(PK) field and remain there until they are written or intentionally dropped. Have you observed any of this behavior?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Sorry guys, brain fart there on bound unbound. Talking bound forms.
Thanks for the clarification. So, when you say "missing data," are you saying other users can't see it in SharePoint, but the original user who entered the data can still see it on their Access form?

tmaccabe

Local time
Thanks for the clarification. So, when you say "missing data," are you saying other users can't see it in SharePoint, but the original user who entered the data can still see it on their Access form?
It's like the user leaves the record and comes back and their changes are missing.

tmaccabe

Local time
On the linked tables/lists, cached records will have a negative number in the ID(PK) field and remain there until they are written or intentionally dropped. Have you observed any of this behavior?
I have not looked for records with negative IDs. If I find one it indicates a record not updated? Is this only for new records?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
New and updated records. Access will tell you that you have unwritten records and disconnected SP tables. Your users should have noticed and told you about it unless they assumed all was well and simply dropped the changes. Hard to believe that, but you never know...

tmaccabe

Local time
Do you think record locking would help, or any other changes from default settings?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Do you think record locking would help, or any other changes from default settings?
No, I don't think so, but I am no expert - I just never had to make any changes to the default settings. Not many of us here haves used SharePoint. Myself, DBG and @GPGeorge are the few that come to mind...

GPGeorge

Grover Park George
Local time
And my use is primarily experimental and limited to trying to understand what happens in general terms. I only supported one client who used SP extensively, now more than 8 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom