Should I worry about the time needed to run DLookup on a session log table? (1 Viewer)

JMongi

Local time
Yesterday, 19:58
One of my login functions checks for any outstanding sessions still running on another computer. I just realized as time "keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping...into the future..." that my log file will get longer and longer and thus my Dlookup might start taking too long to run.

tblLoginSessions
LoginID
UserName
LoginEvent
LogoutEvent
ComputerName
Notes

Code:
Public Function SessionCheck() As Boolean
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
glProcName = "modUserControl Function SessionCheck"
'This function checks the session log for any open sessions from the user and handles any already open sessions.
'The default is to prevent the user from logging in so that the code must work correctly for login.

Dim strCriteria As String, strSQL As String

strCriteria = "UserName='" & modUserControl.DomainUsername & "' And LogoutEvent Is Null"
SessionCheck = False

Select Case True
    Case DCount("LoginID", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria) = 0
        'No unclosed sessions
        SessionCheck = True

Case DLookup("ComputerName", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria) = modUserControl.ComputerName
        'User is logged in on the same computer
        'Close previous session
        strSQL = "UPDATE tblLoginSessions " & _
                " SET LogoutEvent =" & Now() & ", Notes = 'Abnormal Close' " & _
                " WHERE UserName='" & modUserControl.DomainUsername & "' AND LogoutEvent Is Null AND ComputerName='" & modUserControl.ComputerName & "';"
        Debug.Print strSQL
        'CurrentDb.Execute strSQL
        SessionCheck = True

Case DLookup("ComputerName", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria) <> modUserControl.ComputerName
        'User is already logged in on another computer
        FormattedMsgBox "User " & modUserControl.DomainUsername & " is already logged in at workstation " & _
            DLookup("ComputerName", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria) & "      " & "@User " & modUserControl.DomainUsername & _
            " MUST logout from that computer before logging in again.            @", vbCritical, "Already Logged In"

Case Else
        'Something unaccounted for has happened
        'Message about it
End Select

ExitHandler:
'Any additional code needed on error
Exit Function

ErrHandler:
Call ErrProcessor(glProcName)
GoTo ExitHandler

End Function

Should I be concerned? If so, what can I do about it?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:58
providing the fields you are referencing in the dlookup criteria are indexed, should not be a problem. The issues with domain functions is when they are used in queries because they have to be executed for each row.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:58
I don't think there's really anything to worry about. But if you're thinking of reducing the number of DLookups to gain a little speed, then you might consider eliminating some of what I am thinking may be unnecessary steps in your login checks. For instance, something similar to this pseudocode:
Code:
Dim strWorkstation As String
strWorkstation = Nz(DLookup("ComputerName", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria), "")
If strWorkstation = "" OR strWorkstation = modUserControl.ComputerName Then
    'Close (ALL) previous session(s)
    strSQL="UPDATE tblLoginSessions " & _
        " SET ...
        " WHERE LogOutEvent Is Null "
Else
    FormattedMsgBox ...
End If
Just a thought...

Last edited:

JMongi

Local time
providing the fields you are referencing in the dlookup criteria are indexed
Thanks for the info. Do all fields used in a DLookup, Dcount, etc function need to be indexed?

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
One thing that jumps out for me is you might have to run four domain aggregate functions against the same row in the same table, each one of which will have to open it's own recordset to get the value you want. In a case like this I would just open one recordset with SQL like...
SQL:
SELECT * 
FROM tblLoginSession 
WHERE UserName='" & modUserControl.DomainUsername & "' And LogoutEvent Is Null
If I was worried about speed, I would take that step first, and potentially reduce my disk read time by 75%.

MarkK

bit cruncher
Local time
Index the fields in your criteria.

JMongi

Local time
@theDBugy - If I am remembering correctly, one of the benefits of Select Case True is that the rest of the cases are not resolved when a case is found true.

But, I could be wrong.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
@theDBugy - If I am remembering correctly, one of the benefits of Select Case True is that the rest of the cases are not resolved when a case is found true.

But, I could be wrong.
I think you are remembering correctly, but take a look at your third Case statement, for example. You are executing two DLookups looking for the same information. Just saying...

JMongi

Local time
It definitely could use some optimization. I'll look at it again.

The main question is about Dlookup, Dcount, etc on an ever expanding table of records.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
The main question is about Dlookup, Dcount, etc on an ever expanding table of records.
Understood, and I did try to answer that question. As I said, in my humble opinion, you probably won't notice much difference in the speed of your login process for many years to come. But, that's just one person's point of view. Cheers!

JMongi

Local time
@theDBguy - Thanks! didn't mean to sound snarky at all. :) I did have a tangential question...in your code suggestion you used Nz to encapsulate the dlookup. Reason?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
@theDBguy - Thanks! didn't mean to sound snarky at all. :) I did have a tangential question...in your code suggestion you used Nz to encapsulate the dlookup. Reason?
DLookup() can return a Null value, which you can't assign to a String variable.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
DLookup() can return a Null value, which you can't assign to a String variable.
By the way, DLookup() can only return the value(s) from the first matching record. So, if a user was consistently having problems logging out, you may be only closing one of those previous sessions. Just a thought...

JMongi

Local time
Ah, makes sense. A little snipping and pruning and modifying and we get the following code (still using Select Case True instead of an OR in an If/Then).

Edit: To address your other concern. IF this code is working correctly, there should only ever be one hanging session. But, even if there is, I plan on having a mainteance code to run from an admin console to check for these outliers.

Code:
On Error GoTo ErrHandler
'This function checks the session log for any open sessions from the user and handles any already open sessions.
'The default is to prevent the user from logging in so that the code must work correctly for login.

Dim strCriteria As String, strSQL As String, strLastComputer
SessionCheck = False

strCriteria = "UserName='" & modUserControl.DomainUsername & "' And LogoutEvent Is Null"
strLastComputer = Nz(DLookup("ComputerName", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria), "")

Select Case True
    Case strLastComputer = ""
        'No unclosed sessions
        SessionCheck = True

Case strLastComputer = modUserControl.ComputerName
                " WHERE UserName='" & modUserControl.DomainUsername & "' AND LogoutEvent Is Null AND ComputerName='" & modUserControl.ComputerName & "';"
        Debug.Print strSQL
        SessionCheck = True

Case strLastComputer <> modUserControl.ComputerName
        FormattedMsgBox "User " & modUserControl.DomainUsername & " is already logged in at workstation " & _
            strLastComputer & "      " & "@User " & modUserControl.DomainUsername & _
            " MUST logout from that computer before logging in again.            @", vbCritical, "Already Logged In"

Case Else
        'Message about it
End Select

ExitHandler:
'Since this function is a key protection to unauthorized access, any error should prevent access.
SessionCheck = False
Exit Function

ErrHandler:
GoTo ExitHandler

End Function

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Ah, makes sense. A little snipping and pruning and modifying and we get the following code (still using Select Case True instead of an OR in an If/Then).

Edit: To address your other concern. IF this code is working correctly, there should only ever be one hanging session. But, even if there is, I plan on having a mainteance code to run from an admin console to check for these outliers.

Code:
On Error GoTo ErrHandler

Dim strCriteria As String, strSQL As String, strLastComputer
SessionCheck = False

strLastComputer = Nz(DLookup("ComputerName", "tblLoginSessions", strCriteria), "")

Select Case True
    Case strLastComputer = ""
        'No unclosed sessions
        SessionCheck = True

Case strLastComputer = modUserControl.ComputerName
        Debug.Print strSQL
        SessionCheck = True

Case strLastComputer <> modUserControl.ComputerName
            strLastComputer & "      " & "@User " & modUserControl.DomainUsername & _

Case Else
        'Message about it
End Select

ExitHandler:
'Since this function is a key protection to unauthorized access, any error should prevent access.
SessionCheck = False
Exit Function

ErrHandler:
GoTo ExitHandler

End Function
I like it. Good luck with your project.

JMongi

Local time
Thanks! Getting my coding sea legs back under me again. :coffee::giggle:

Users who are viewing this thread