showing checkbox in an email (1 Viewer)

iankerry

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:05
Hi All

I have a button on my form which produces an email to a person with all their event bookings on it:-

Dear xxxxx,
Below are your requested bookings. Please check all the details and read to the end of this email:
Date: 20/11/2010
Film: The Disappearance of Alice Creed
Time: 7.30pm
Venue: Clun Memorial Hall
Adult Ticket Price: £4
Child Ticket Price: £2.5
Family Ticket Price: £0
You are going to provide your own dvd: True

The last line is foxing me - i would like it to show a checkbox that is either ticked or not depending on the value of the [owndvd] field, currently stored as a BIT datatype in sql server.

the code so far is:
Private Sub cmdEmail_Click()

Dim arrSummaryData() As SUMMARY_DATA
Dim SQL As String
Dim strEmail As String
Dim strTime As String
Dim tmpowndvd As Boolean
Dim strPromoterName As String
Dim intRecordCount As Integer
Dim dblRecord As Double
Dim i As Integer
Dim lngPromoterId As Long

If IsNull(Me.PromoterID.Value) Then
lngPromoterId = 0
Else
lngPromoterId = Me.PromoterID.Value
End If

intRecordCount = 0
strPromoterName = ""
strEmail = ""
SQL = ""

SQL = "SELECT dbo_EventsFlicks.datefield, dbo_Films.[film name], dbo_EventsFlicks.owndvd, dbo_EventsFlicks.time, dbo_EventsFlicks.AdultTP, dbo_EventsFlicks.FamilyTP, dbo_EventsFlicks.ChildTP, dbo_Venues.VENUE, dbo_Promoters.NAME,dbo_Promoters.email, dbo_Promoters.ID" & _
" FROM (dbo_Films INNER JOIN dbo_filmCopies ON dbo_Films.ID = dbo_filmCopies.tblFilms_ID) INNER JOIN (dbo_Venues INNER JOIN (dbo_Promoters INNER JOIN dbo_EventsFlicks ON dbo_Promoters.ID = dbo_EventsFlicks.promoterID) ON dbo_Venues.ID = dbo_EventsFlicks.venueID) ON dbo_filmCopies.ID = dbo_EventsFlicks.filmCopyID " & _
" WHERE (((dbo_EventsFlicks.datefield) > Now()) And ((dbo_Promoters.ID) = " & lngPromoterId & "))" & _
" ORDER BY dbo_EventsFlicks.datefield"
If OpenConnection Then
If rs.State = adStateOpen Then rs.Close
rs.Open SQL, cn, adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic

If Not rs.EOF Then
dblRecord = rs.RecordCount
ReDim arrSummaryData(1 To dblRecord)
'create an Array depends on number of records and put all data with features
'
With rs
intRecordCount = 1
Do While Not .EOF
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strPromoterName = IIf(IsNull(![NAME]), "", ![NAME])
strPromoterName = arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strPromoterName
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strEmail = IIf(IsNull(!), "", ![email])
strEmail = arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strEmail
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).dtDatefield = IIf(IsNull(![datefield]), "", ![datefield])
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strTime = IIf(IsNull(![time]), "", ![time])
If owndvd = 0 Then tmpowndvd = False
If owndvd = -1 Then tmpowndvd = True
'tmpowndvd = arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).tmpowndvd
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strFilmName = IIf(IsNull(![film name]), "", ![film name])
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).strVenue = IIf(IsNull(![VENUE]), "", ![VENUE])
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).curAdultTP = IIf(IsNull(![AdultTP]), "", ![AdultTP])
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).curChildTP = IIf(IsNull(![ChildTP]), "", ![ChildTP])
arrSummaryData(intRecordCount).curFamilyTP = IIf(IsNull(![FamilyTP]), "", ![FamilyTP])
.MoveNext
intRecordCount = intRecordCount + 1
Loop
.Close
End With

Dim strMessage As String

strMessage = "Dear " & strPromoterName & "," & vbCrLf & vbCrLf & "Below are your requested bookings. Please check all the details and read to the end of this email:" & vbCrLf

If Len(strEmail) = 0 Then
strEmail = "terri@artsalive.co.uk"
End If

For i = LBound(arrSummaryData) To UBound(arrSummaryData)
strMessage = strMessage & vbCrLf & "Date: " & arrSummaryData(i).dtDatefield & " " & vbCrLf & "Film: " & arrSummaryData(i).strFilmName & " " & vbCrLf & "Time: " & arrSummaryData(i).strTime & " " & vbCrLf & "Venue: " & arrSummaryData(i).strVenue & " " & vbCrLf & "Adult Ticket Price: £" & arrSummaryData(i).curAdultTP & " " & vbCrLf & "Child Ticket Price: £" & arrSummaryData(i).curChildTP & " " & vbCrLf & "Family Ticket Price: £" & arrSummaryData(i).curFamilyTP & " " & vbCrLf & "You are going to provide your own dvd:" & " " & tmpowndvd & vbCrLf
Next
strMessage = strMessage & vbCrLf & "I hope the above booking details are correct, please let me know if you need to make any amendments. Regards" & vbCrLf

Call SendAttachments("Booking information", strMessage, strEmail)
Else
MsgBox " There are no records for that Promoter.", vbInformation
End If
End If

CleanExit:

If Not rs Is Nothing Then
If rs.State = adStateOpen Then rs.Close
End If
Exit Sub

End Sub

anyone any ideas?

Thanks

ian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Today, 15:05
This is not a simple request. What you would need is to be able to use HTML formatted email and you would provide the checked box or not using a special character from the WingDings character set. So your email message would essentially need to be written like a web page using HTML and the value of tmpowndvd would need to checked and the appropriate symbol substituted (either 0xFE or 0xA8).

iankerry

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Bob

Thanks for replying. No wonder that i couldn't get it to work as it wasnt simple!

Perhaps I'll just change it to a yes or no field. I just wanted it to stand out more as it was a crucial piece of info.

Is there at least a way of making the field value bold? my emails are HTML anyway.

best wishes
ian

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Is there at least a way of making the field value bold? my emails are HTML anyway.

best wishes
ian
You need to reformat your code to use HTML instead. I can tell it isn't currently doing that as you have vbCrLf in there and you would need to use <BR> instead.

So, you would need to change something like this:
Code:
strMessage = "Dear " & strPromoterName & "," & [COLOR=red][B]<BR> & <BR> [/B][/COLOR]& "Below are your requested bookings. Please check all the details and read to the end of this email:" & [COLOR=red][B]<BR>[/B][/COLOR]
Code:
strMessage = strMessage & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Date: " & arrSummaryData(i).dtDatefield & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Film: " & arrSummaryData(i).strFilmName & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Time: " & arrSummaryData(i).strTime & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Venue: " & arrSummaryData(i).strVenue & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Adult Ticket Price: £" & arrSummaryData(i).curAdultTP & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Child Ticket Price: £" & arrSummaryData(i).curChildTP & " " & [COLOR=#ff0000]<BR>[/COLOR] & "Family Ticket Price: £" & arrSummaryData(i).curFamilyTP & " " & [COLOR=red]<BR>[/COLOR] & "You are going to provide your own dvd:" & " " & [COLOR=red][B]<B> & [/B][/COLOR]tmpowndvd & [B][COLOR=red]</B>[/COLOR][/B] & <BR>

And then under SEND ATTACHMENTS you might need to specify explicitly that you want HTML email.

iankerry

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Bob, appreciate your time.

Ian

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
I did not know what wingdings were now I do.

I was just looking at your old thread.

by the way this would work

Code:
</a>You are going to provide your own dvd:   <a>
<span style="font-family: wingdings; font-size: 250%;">ü</span>

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I did not know what wingdings were now I do.

I was just looking at your old thread.

Code:
</a>You are going to provide your own dvd:   <a>
<span style="font-family: wingdings; font-size: 250%;">ü</span>

That I don't know. You would have to try it to see.

darbid

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:05
I'm not asking the question. I know it works :)

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
I'm not asking the question. I know it works :)
Ah, sorry - got the words mixed up. I thought it was

by the way would this work

instead of what you really wrote:

Glad it's Friday. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom