simple (i think) query can't work it out (1 Viewer)

jd_boss_hogg

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:16
Hi All - i think this is a simple enough thing to do, but just can't work it out in my head..

I have some invoices in a dbase. I want to build a query where customer = widgets PLC, >Date = 1/1/11 < 1/2/11, and where item 1 OR item2 OR item 3 or Item 4 contains "nails"

It's the querying more than one field for the same item that i can't seem to get working... how do i do this ? If i put all the fields into the design query, it then only gives me results where 'nails' is in ALL fields, where i want an either/or kind of result... ?

hoping someone can help !

Trevor G

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:16
Add an expression to a new field that will add in the IIF([FieldName]="nails",1,[FieldName]) and repeat the IIF for the other fields in the expression then you can set the critieria for 1.

Without seeing the database, but from your thread this should work.

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 07:16
You've got bigger problems than this immediate issue.

...where item 1 OR item2 OR item 3 or Item 4 contains

When you have numerated field names (i.e. item1, item2, item3, contact1, contact2, contact3, etc.) it means your database isn't properly structured. Instead of having a field for each item, you need to make a table of items with a row in that table for each item. In a broad view it would go from looking like this:

InvoiceTable
InvoiceID, InvoiceDate, CustomerID, Item1, Item2, Item3, Item4
1012, 6/28/2012, "Nails", "Hammer", "2 x 4", "Glue"

To this:

ItemTable
InvoiceID, Item
1012, "Nails"
1012, "Hammer"
1012, "2 x 4"
1012, "Glue"

This makes your immediate issue simpler to solve and will avoid other issues that you will be sure to have in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom