Slow printing in Access 2010 (1 Viewer)

Ottomatic

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:41
Hi, My colleagues complain about an Access file I've made and more about the slow printing. The file has a size of 11Mb and has 43 reports and 43 forms. When you print a report the report is immediately converted into pdf. And this takes about 1minute. Would anybody have an idea how I can make the printing functionality faster? Regards, Otto

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:41
depends how you are doing it at the moment

Also, compacting the db can make a difference

Ottomatic

Registered User.
Local time
I read a lot of stuff how to avoid getting a slow database but it seems the only solution will be spliting the database into several parts. To avoid having a wrong judgement I zipped the file and placed it in attachment for those who can point me my mistakes in creating this access file.

Attachement removed

Regards,
Otto

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 16:41
Can't see any problem with your db - you are already effectively split FE/BE by virtue of using sharepoint.

With regards print times, it took 7 seconds to print which didn't seem too bad (only tried the first two) - implies there may be something you need to do with your internet connection.

One small coding improvement which may improve times is that I notice you open the report, then print and close (presumably to apply the filter).

If you modify your report to include the following in the on open event

me.filter="[Id]=" & forms!Navigatieformulier!NavigatieSubformulier!ID

then you do not need to use the open or close report commands - may have a performance improvement.

If you still want to show the report, then add True to the outputreport command and it will open the pdf for you

Ottomatic

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Sir, Many thanks for your reply, I will implement that command. It is like you suggested, these reports don't need to be opened first. Hopefully this will have some effect. But like you experienced the two first reports go pretty good. It is when you print out several reports, then you will notice the 1minute delay. I doubt that it would be the internet connection because several colleagues are experiencing this. But anyway it is a good sign to hear from an expert that I didn't make huge faults. Many thanks again, Otto

Ottomatic

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Sir, I paste the code in each report but didn't notice much changements.
By the way, thank you for informing me concerning someone messing with the avalailable data.

I have another issue, would you be so kind to see the problem I'm fasing? (And this concerning the PDF output)
Would you have an idea, how I can add following fieldnames in the generated PDF file when printed? [Keuze_Toestel];[Klantnaam];[Keurder];[Nummer_Verslag];[Referentie]

thank you in advance, Otto

spikepl

Eledittingent Beliped
Local time
If absolutely all text fonts - for textboxes, labels etc - in your report are set to Arial (instead of the default Calibri) the size of the PDF file will be smaller. This might help a little. Try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom