Slow To Open (1 Viewer)

Joye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:34
I have a very simple table with about 20 fields. The thing is it has about 360,000 records in it. It has always been a little slow to open, although using a query works pretty fast. There is just this one table, no forms, no reports, no saved queries. Simple database with one table, but it takes forever to open now, seems to have gotten worse. I have compacted and repaired many times and it does not help. The database is stored on a server.

When I click to open the table up it says RUNNING QUERY at the bottom of the screen and then runs and runs for a LONG time. I cannot rely on queries since we want to keep this real simple for users of this data. Just go in, do a FIND or a FILTER and that is it.

Any idea why this is running so slow, or why it says RUNNING QUERY when I attempt to open it, is that normal?

Thanks.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:34
You have something somewhere that is running a query, which is why it tells you it is running a query. :rolleyes:

OK, what kind of query could it be?

Well, if you have a startup form that counts anything or otherwise gives you a statistic of some kind, anything including DCount, DMax, DMin, DLookup, or perhaps the startup form has "Form_Load" or "Form_Current" event code that does one of the implied domain aggregate functions... see, a domain aggregate is an implied query, too! That could be the query it is talking about. Not just the stuff floating around the Query pane.

Joye

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:34
But I don't have any forms, no startup forms, not one single form is in this database. Just that one table. And when you open it it runs a query.

How can I find out what it is running?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Is the table resident or linked?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Your description cannot be correct.

I strongly suggest that you follow this procedure:

From the menu bar, follow path Tools >> Options

On the multi-tabbed dialog box, select View.

In the section on Show, be sure that "Hidden Objects" is checked.

Now click OK and look at your Forms pane again. Still no forms anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom