Snow!!! (1 Viewer)

kmb

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:26
Anybody seeing snow this week? We are getting pounded. Already have almost a foot and possible 2 feet by tommorow morning. Love that lake effect snow off of Lake Erie (one of the Great Lakes in the US).

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 11:26
We, here in Houston, had some snow last week.... It was the earliest that snow has fallen ever, I think. It didn't really accumulate, but there were huge flakes and my co-workers were like children going outside to see it. I have lived in CT some, so I have seen realatively more than we ever get here. But it was very cool.

Local time
When it snowed in Houston last week, we had enough to build a snowman...but we're all such wimps when it comes to the cold to go out in it long enough to do anything. I just sat and watched through my window. Snow is an amazing thing for a southern boy like me.

kmb

Registered User.
Local time
I lived in SC for a while and the locals were the same way!! Even in Columbus OH where it snows a little bit every year, if there is 3-4 inches on the ground, they close down all the roads and you can get a ticket for driving, even if your are like me and have studded snow tires because when it snows here (all winter long), you still have to go to work and go about your daily lives...:rolleyes:.
BTW...I didn't even know it even snowed in Texas...when I was there once it was like 104 degrees for like 103 days in a row....if it got to 100 here in WNY, people would freak out...probably like you guys do for snow...

Last edited:

ajetrumpet

Banned
Local time
When it snowed in Houston last week, we had enough to build a snowman...but we're all such wimps when it comes to the cold to go out in it long enough to do anything.

the complex that I live in have people that dare to go out. I saw a snowman outside! Yipppiiiieeee!!!!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
When it snowed in Houston last week, we had enough to build a snowman...but we're all such wimps when it comes to the cold to go out in it long enough to do anything. I just sat and watched through my window. Snow is an amazing thing for a southern boy like me.

I'm sorry, it was my understanding that Texans are NOT Southerners. We leave that to the people of Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisianna, Mississippi, Carolinas, and such.

Texans are Texans. Don't ever make that mistake again.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
I'm sorry, it was my understanding that Texans are NOT Southerners. We leave that to the people of Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisianna, Mississippi, Carolinas, and such.

We've talked about this before, I grew up here, and I consider myself a southerner. Maybe not deep south, but south all the same. But Texans are definitely a category all their own.... Me inlcluded! :p

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
The electricity on my block went out. I was too worried about staying warm to even consider playing in the little that accumulated.

Also, I was very afraid to drive on the overpasses on the way home, as I thought the temperature was going to drop and the rain that had fallen earlier would freeze, but they were fine.

Local time

No mistake that I know of...perhaps you should read my post again.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:26
We got hit pretty hard Monday, plus it snowed a little this morning and we're supposed to get a bunch tonight. Depending on elevation, people around here got anything from 6 inches to several feet Monday. We got about 1 1/2 feet at our house. I heard that storm moved east and hit other parts of the country pretty hard too.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:26
Has anyone started blaming global warming yet?:rolleyes:

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Has anyone started blaming global warming yet?:rolleyes:

How did that happen anyway? One minute it was the 1970's and the big scare was that we were heading for the next ice age, now it's global warming! They forget, the Romans used to grow wine grapes in England, the climate changed long before the industrial revolution, and long before Jerremy Clarkson and 4x4s.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
How did that happen anyway? One minute it was the 1970's and the big scare was that we were heading for the next ice age, now it's global warming! They forget, the Romans used to grow wine grapes in England, the climate changed long before the industrial revolution, and long before Jerremy Clarkson and 4x4s.
There is clear evidence that the global temperature is rising. The causes for this are not so clear. We know there are periodic fluctuations in the global temperature due to natural causes such as the energy output from the sun. However there has been a measurable increase in greenhouse gases such as CO2 and Methane which must have some effect on this problem. The observed warming is also causing methane at present stored under the arctic ice to be released. It stands to reason that this will increase global warming rather than reduce it.

Over the last 300-400 million years a lot of carbon dioxide has been stored safely away in what we now refer to as fossil fuels. By burning these fuels we are increasing the amount of green house gases in the atmosphere.

The global population is also increasing very rapidly which also puts a strain on our planet. Something needs to be done to stop the timebomb that we have created for ourselves. The problem is unlikely to resolve itself in a satisfactory manner if we just ignore it.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
The global population is also increasing very rapidly which also puts a strain on our planet. Something needs to be done to stop the timebomb that we have created for ourselves. The problem is unlikely to resolve itself in a satisfactory manner if we just ignore it.

The true problem, we need a pandemic to half the global population, perhaps all those religious people out there could pray for a plague.

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Something needs to be done to stop the timebomb that we have created for ourselves. The problem is unlikely to resolve itself in a satisfactory manner if we just ignore it.

But what if it's not man made? All these debates about how we were interfering with nature, it stands to reason that if it's not man made then by changing the course of what nature wants to do we are, interfering...

I have no real thought on whether it is us or a natural phenomenon that's causing the climate change. I just wish scientists would make up their minds. I do, however, believe that there are way too many people on the planet and that it can't be good that we are muscling out even the smallest of creatures to make way for our comforts. We don't know enough about how the planet works and it could be that we are effectively a cancer on the face of Earth. We have the technology to prevent over-population, birth control has been around for decades, perhaps it's time it became an international law?

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
But what if it's not man made? All these debates about how we were interfering with nature, it stands to reason that if it's not man made then by changing the course of what nature wants to do we are, interfering...
Nothing wrong with interfering with nature. The Dutch have done it successfully by building their dykes to keep the sea out
I have no real thought on whether it is us or a natural phenomenon that's causing the climate change. I just wish scientists would make up their minds. I do, however, believe that there are way too many people on the planet and that it can't be good that we are muscling out even the smallest of creatures to make way for our comforts. We don't know enough about how the planet works and it could be that we are effectively a cancer on the face of Earth. We have the technology to prevent over-population, birth control has been around for decades, perhaps it's time it became an international law?
I actually believe it is a bit of both natural causes and human action. I also think that overpopulation is the main problem.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 09:26
They used to send the elderly, sickly and other burdens on the community out for a walk on the ice flows to become a frozen snack for the polar bears. Part of the over population problem is the increase in life expectancy for humans. Perhaps it is time to cull the herd and go for survival of the fittest.

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Nothing wrong with interfering with nature. The Dutch have done it successfully by building their dykes to keep the sea out

So maybe it's their fault :D ;)

As to your argument about the methane levels in the air, perhaps we could kill two birds with one stone there, reduce the number of bosses in local governments and you not only save money but reduce the amount of methane spewing from their mouths :D

They used to send the elderly, sickly and other burdens on the community out for a walk on the ice flows to become a frozen snack for the polar bears. Part of the over population problem is the increase in life expectancy for humans. Perhaps it is time to cull the herd and go for survival of the fittest.

LOL, I wonder what the insurance companies would say to that?

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
There is clear evidence that the global temperature is rising.
Actually the termperature of the globe hasn't risen at all over the last ten years:eek:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Actually the termperature of the globe hasn't risen at all over the last ten years:eek:
So you say but the artic ice is definitely melting more and more each year. And glaciers are shrinking all over the world

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom