So long, farewell UK and life part 1, part 2........ (1 Viewer)

Minkey

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:12
(I hope)

So I have finally decided that I have definitely had enough of this country, my career as it is and life here in general so I have started the process of applying for residency (and eventually citizenship) in.......

drum roll.......

New Zealand :D

I'm not going to go into to many specific details as to why but I have taken a long time to think this through and recent changes in my circumstances have allowed me to at least investigate my options further.

Now I know there are no guarantees, I actually score quite low on their requirements because I don't have a professional qualification I would essentially need to get a job offer to get me a better chance so I'm not thinking it will be easy, quick or even a certainty.

Why new Zealand?

Have you seen the place? I spend 2 months travelling all over both islands and fell in love I even had a strong physical reaction on seeing Lake Pukaki for the first time, yes it really is that colour btw.

Now it's not just the sights which quite frankly you can write 2 books on (in fact I have those 2 books :p) but it's also the other things that grab you, essentially the overall quality of life.

I have explored other places and options (even coinciding buying my own island – which you might be surprised is quite obtainable providing it's not in a typical tourist hotspot) but I have decided that New Zealand is my No.1 choice.

So I have expressed my interest with the New Zealand government and several immigration 'lawyers' to gauge my chances (I have already had a positive response from one site but after a bit more research they may not be the most scrupulous so I have found better ones) I will be revisiting next year and staying for up to 6 months, crucially into the winter, to see what a more typical day to day life might be like and we'll go from there.

So has anyone else thinking of or has done it? I (and maybe some other people) would be interested in your experiences (why, where, when, good bits bad bits etc.)

BTW it has been pointed out to me that this might simply be a mid life crisis and I completely agree but what a crisis :p

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:12
One of my daughters and her husband moved there about 2 years ago and they love it. He took a job with a U.S. company with offices there, she later got a job with a local university. I've visited once but only the Wellington area (helping them move and settle in). Hope to visit this January or February and travel around more. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom