SQL statement with parameters (1 Viewer)

deathcake

Local time
Today, 08:02
Hi,

I've done extensive searching over the last hour and I can't seem to find what i'm after, or if it's possibly the way i'm doing it. I want to take the output of a text control and insert this value into a table. I have been reading up on SQL injection prevention so I'm going to use parameters in my SQL statement instead.

Code:
Private Sub Command7_Click()

Dim sqlString As String

sqlString = "INSERT INTO dbo_title(Title_JobTitle) VALUES(@JobTitle)"

CurrentDb.Execute sqlString

End Sub

I was trying to keep it simple by just issuing the SQL statement straight to the database. I have an auto increment primary key, so all i'm needing to insert is the job title. I'm struggling to find how to create my parameter, "JobTitle" though...

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Well, the normal method would be:

sqlString = "INSERT INTO dbo_title(Title_JobTitle) VALUES('" & FormReferenceHere & "')"

which presumes the field has a text data type.

deathcake

Local time
Hi pbaldy,

I did consider that but doesn't that leave your database open to SQL injection where someone writes in SQL code into the field and it's executed as part of the query?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It's not something I've ever experienced, but I suppose it's possible. I'd be more worried with a web application than something internal. If you're worried about it, you could do some sort of validation on the textbox contents before executing SQL.

deathcake

Local time
Fair enough! I suppose I could exclude any brackets and ' " characters.

Out of shear curiosity then, can a parameter be added to the SQL statement as I have done, or would I need to go down the route of creating a DAO query and adding the parameters to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom