SQL Syntax (1 Viewer)

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
Today, 06:36
Hey all,

Is the following statement syntactically correct?
Code:
SELECT tblFD.Payor_Code AS [Payor Code], tblFD.Payor_Name AS [Payor Name], tblFD.SRCol AS [S/R], Sum(tblFD.Inbnd_Bytes) AS [Inbound Bytes], Sum(tblFD.Otbnd_Bytes) AS [Outbound Bytes], Sum(tblFD.Bytes) AS Bytes, Sum(tblFD.Billable_Bytes) AS [Billable Bytes], Sum(tblFD.Amount) AS Amount, Year(tblFD.Date_Entered) AS [Year]
FROM tblFinalData AS tblFD, [B](SELECT Max(Date_Entered) as maxDate FROM tblFinalData)[/B] [B]AS maxResults[/B]
WHERE (((tblFD.SRCol) Is Not Null) And ((tblFD.Date_Entered) Between DateSerial(Year(maxResults.maxDate)-1,1,1) And Year(Now())-1))
GROUP BY tblFD.Payor_Code, tblFD.Payor_Name, tblFD.SRCol, Year(tblFD.Date_Entered);

I don't have a problem with the query loading in the above form, but access kindly decides that it needs to be changed to this form:

Code:
SELECT tblFD.Payor_Code AS [Payor Code], tblFD.Payor_Name AS [Payor Name], tblFD.SRCol AS [S/R], Sum(tblFD.Inbnd_Bytes) AS [Inbound Bytes], Sum(tblFD.Otbnd_Bytes) AS [Outbound Bytes], Sum(tblFD.Bytes) AS Bytes, Sum(tblFD.Billable_Bytes) AS [Billable Bytes], Sum(tblFD.Amount) AS Amount, Year(tblFD.Date_Entered) AS [Year]
FROM tblFinalData AS tblFD, [B][SELECT Max(Date_Entered) as maxDate FROM tblFinalData][/B] [B]AS maxResults[/B]
WHERE (((tblFD.SRCol) Is Not Null) And ((tblFD.Date_Entered) Between DateSerial(Year(maxResults.maxDate)-1,1,1) And Year(Now())-1))
GROUP BY tblFD.Payor_Code, tblFD.Payor_Name, tblFD.SRCol, Year(tblFD.Date_Entered);

Then when I go to use the query in a form or report access throws an error regarding the SELECT statment inside of the from statement. I've bolded the offensive statements. Any ideas to correct the issue?

Local time
Once you get it working in SQL view, don't go back into design view...it'll hose up your nice working SQL.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 07:36
I find that MS Access 2003 does not like queries formatted that way. I imagine that other versions act the same way. One way for you to resolve this (perhaps not what you wanted) would be to create a new query (called qrymaxDate?) that contains the following:

Code:
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New][B]SELECT Max(Date_Entered) as maxDate FROM tblFinalData;[/B][/FONT][/COLOR]
That would make your query:

Code:
[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=black][COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]SELECT tblFD.Payor_Code AS [Payor Code],[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]tblFD.Payor_Name AS [Payor Name],[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]tblFD.SRCol AS [S/R],[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Sum(tblFD.Inbnd_Bytes) AS [Inbound Bytes],[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Sum(tblFD.Otbnd_Bytes) AS [Outbound Bytes],[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Sum(tblFD.Bytes) AS Bytes,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Sum(tblFD.Billable_Bytes) AS [Billable Bytes],[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Sum(tblFD.Amount) AS Amount,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Year(tblFD.Date_Entered) AS [Year][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]FROM tblFinalData AS tblFD, [COLOR=red][B]qrymaxDate AS maxResults[/B][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]WHERE (((tblFD.SRCol) Is Not Null) And ((tblFD.Date_Entered) Between[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]   DateSerial(Year(maxResults.maxDate)-1,1,1) And Year(Now())-1))[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]GROUP BY tblFD.Payor_Code,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]tblFD.Payor_Name,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]tblFD.SRCol,[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black][FONT=Courier New]Year(tblFD.Date_Entered);[/FONT][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]

dapfeifer

Bringing Maverick Mojo
Local time
I find that MS Access 2003 does not like queries formatted that way. I imagine that other versions act the same way.

Yes, I'm using Access XP and it seems that it doesn't like it either. Thank you both for the help. If I can't seem to remember to not go back to design view I will try AccessRookie's technique.

Thanks again!

Local time
Yes, that is a good technique.

The cool thing about design mode is that if you saved the query while in SQL mode and later open it in "design" mode, it will re-open in SQL mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom