Suspending a User (1 Viewer)

cross5900

Blarg!
Local time
Today, 06:39
I am trying to brainstorm and idea that I have to better improve my companies database security. Right now all we have is a passworded backend and user levels for each person who uses the database. 10 - default; 50 - supervisor; 100 - developer.

I am wanting to create a function, that looks into my User Table and checks today's date to when they last logged in, and if they have not logged in say in 30 days it will disable their ID and they would have to contact me in order to enable it.

I am looking to see if anyone at this forum knows of any good examples so that I can get this idea working.

Thanks in advance.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
OK, here's a basic rule. Access cannot tell you anything you didn't tell it first.

Therefore, to know how long a user has been idle, you must keep a log of all user logins with dates. Then you can search for the last login for the given user and do a DateDiff vs. Date() to get idle-time.

Search the forum for Auditing and for User Tracking to see some topics that might help you.

Here is the "catch" - in order for any "Startup" form to make this determination, Access has to ALREADY be logged in. So what you would do is have a startup form that either logs the user access - OR puts up a message box that says "Go call your DBA to re-enable your account." Then have the form QUIT the application.

What you would have to do after that is manually add a line with the user's name and date and a note - "Reset"... whereas a "normal" login would have the user's name and date and a note "Login"

cross5900

Blarg!
Local time
We actually already use a startup form that I believe does what you stated. It pops open a form if it is a first timer user asking for initials, their initials is associated with ther WorkID number that is taken from their computer using the environ("username") code and places in the user table of the database.

The only thing my table lacks is a last login field and a IsActive yes/no field. I just gotta get it working now. I am just looking for some other ideas/suggestions to help make this work nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom