Synchronization Problem (1 Viewer)

jcsuarez

jcsuarez
Local time
Yesterday, 21:06
I have an Application with several users that share tables located in a Design Master file at a server. The tables are shared in several computers with a Replica of the Design Master in each computer. When we try to synchronize any Replica with the Master Design, it gives back an error message stating that the "Number of blocks of shared files are exceeded" And the message ends stating that I must increase the MaxLocksPerFile in the Register.:(
I don´t know what this message means and I don´t know how to solve this problem. Can anybody help me with this? Thank you :)

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:06
the solution is in what you posted

message ends stating that I must increase the MaxLocksPerFile in the Register

To do this, use the following code in the first form to be opened by the user, such as the switchboard - I suggest the form open event. The increase is only maintained during the current session i.e. once access closes then the maxlocksperfile will revert.

Code:
DAO.DBEngine.SetOption dbMaxLocksPerFile, 15000
You may need to change the 15000 to a higher figure

I also recommend, if you are not doing so now is that the back ends (replica and master) are regularly compacted

jcsuarez

jcsuarez
Local time
the solution is in what you posted

To do this, use the following code in the first form to be opened by the user, such as the switchboard - I suggest the form open event. The increase is only maintained during the current session i.e. once access closes then the maxlocksperfile will revert.

Code:
DAO.DBEngine.SetOption dbMaxLocksPerFile, 15000
You may need to change the 15000 to a higher figure

I also recommend, if you are not doing so now is that the back ends (replica and master) are regularly compacted

Thanks a lot, CJ London: I´m going to try it and I´ll tell you later how it went.

jcsuarez

jcsuarez
Local time
Thanks a lot, JC London. I´ve done it, and it worked fine. I had to increase the MaxLocsPerFile up to 40000 to make it work fast enough. Can you tell me were can I read about this feature? I would like to learn what was the problem and how I fixed (with your help, of course). Thanks again

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:06
It is not particularly well documented as to why it occurs or how to avoid. Just google 'maxlocksperfile' and you will find plenty of links.

As mentioned before, I have found compacting can reduce the occurence of the issue but won't necessarily resolve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom